20% of the time it starts every time.

pwrcat4000

Ok mechanical savants

So recently i have had a problem starting the car the starter works ~20% of the time when the truck is warm I just bump start it but it is getting annoying I am very fat out of shape and lazy and am not relly tring to change this LOL

So here is what happens turn key I hear a metalic thud like the solinoid is engageing but the starter does not turn I turn the key repetively and sporaticlally the truck will turn over and start.  When this happens the starter sounds fine.

1. I have checked the charge of the nearly new battery 13V

2. Cleaned all the connections and to the starter and the battery posts and for good measure the ground side.

3. Jumping the solinoid produces the same results so I am thinking the key swich is ok.

I am interested in fixing it as cheaply and easely (refer to lazy above) as posible.

By the way the thing is running purrrfectly last fillup I calculated that I am getting nearly 40mpg in town do a lot of coasting at idel around town On the highway (as fast as the truck will go ~80mph) I get about 23mpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jumping the solinoid produces the same results so I am thinking the key swich is ok.

isnt this bypassing the key switch?????????? so your taking a wire from the batt cable at the starter and put it to the starter tab.

If cranks solid then the key switch is weak, but key is get a solid connection. Ifix this by adding a relay. I used a Ford Satrer seliniod. but a light blk box tyep is NICER.

if still weak I would swap a starter if you have a spare.

make sure cable lugs good and not cracked.

40mpg??????????? I cant belive your getting almost 400miles out of a 521 pe rtank  we are talking VW diesel milage!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

With the key on I jumped directly on the solonoid I used the screwdriver from the positive post to the start wire I guess that's what it's called I don't know its a yellow wire I call it the start line. As for the mileage in town I am hypermiling the truck I'm basically in neutral about 80% of the time since I got my idol fixed it idles is about 400 500 rpm I was turning it off but now like I said the truck won't start reliably I can still bump start it I have the starter off of my 1600 that I blew the gasket on that cause me to replace with this 2 liter I am guessing they are the same its fairly new I probably should just switch it out that might be the easiest answer.

• Like 1

I would suspect the contacts in the starter solenoid are bad.  If you take an auto ranging volt meter, and put one lead on the big terminal on the solenoid, connected to the battery cable, and the other lead on the big terminal that has the wire going into the starter, check that voltage.  This should be less than .5 volts. 

If you have an OEM Datsun starter, it is a pretty simple operation to remove the starter from the engine, and then remove the solenoid from the starter.  Dissassemble the solenoid, and clean the contacts. 

• Like 1

Dissassemble the solenoid, and clean the contacts.

The above is the easiest/cheapest. I think you can remove the solenoid without removing the starter too. Make sure you disconnect the battery.

The original Nissan starter and solenoid are far better than any re-built crap out there. The lifetime warranty doesn't mean much after being towed home fro the third time and you have to wait till Monday for the store to open and order another 'free' one. Maybe this has already been replaced before?.

• Like 1

Ok so ratsuey starts every time now.  :thumbup:  

I took the starter off the1971 1600 and it starts the truck but is making some grinding noises.  So I just ordered a reman 1979 620 starter form rock auto last night don't want it to eat the flywheel.

Also I got a new waterpump as the other one was leaking out the inspection hole. I went ahead an used the 71 so I could put the original fan and shroud on the fan cluch was shot on the 1979 pump anyway had to take a chisel to get the long bolt out of the old pump but it is back in service.

Oil change and lube back on the road!!