grinding front hubs.....

Llittle_Llama

It's not hard to remove the old ones with a chisel and soft touch with a hammer. To install, a large socket and similar soft touch with a hammer. Keep it even while driving the race in. Make sure everything is super clean. Some PB Blaster or similar will help both removal and installation. I've done it several times this way without any major issues. Just take your time, pay attention to what you are doing and don't get it all cock-eyed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just couldn't resist! Ice...Redeye....you guys will like this :)

So I told Slodat I'd turn some hubs for him. Started out with one of my hubs for my daughter's 521. Thought everything was fine until I realised the casting wasn't quite right. Did some checking and the surface I was registered to was not right when compared to the bearing race. I decided the hub needed to be registered to the bearing surface....so I took an old spindle and spend about 4hrs making another tool.

First up....checking to see if the hubs would fit the rims...nope. The 620 hub is close, but it would still hit on the radius on the hub. The rim could be filed a bit, but I'm not using 620 hubs.

100_0672.jpg

100_0674.jpg

100_0675.jpg

100_0676.jpg

I started by cutting the hub just a bit :) I won't give much detail here....I think you'll get the idea from the pics. I ended up putting the bracket on....Slodat's idea :) ....to keep the hub from turning. Even with the spindle nut cranked down tight...the hub would still spin under a heavy cut. Anyway.....the new adapter registers the hub on the bearing races nicely. I made a center to go in the chuck so both ends are held by centers. That's why I need the bolt against the jaw to drive it. Having it between centers makes it more accurate. I simply used some old 521 bearings because they fit the spindle. The race angles are the same, so they center the hub well.

100_0683.jpg

100_0688.jpg

100_0698.jpg

100_0707.jpg

100_0708.jpg

100_0709.jpg

100_0712.jpg

A ting of beauty! :)

100_0711.jpg

100_0713.jpg

I beveled the first two....but using the compound threw off my dro settings.....so I didn't do it on the second two. Steve wanted them cut to these dimensions. Mine will only be cut enough to fit the rims :) .....but then again....I can always recut them if I need to :)

Edited by mklotz70
It's not hard to remove the old ones with a chisel and soft touch with a hammer. To install, a large socket and similar soft touch with a hammer.

I smacked the fuck out of my hand driving out the bearing races :mad:

Just couldn't resist! Ice...Redeye....you guys will like this :)

So I told Steve I'd turn some hubs for him. Started out with one of my hubs for my daughter's 521. Thought everything was fine until I realised the casting wasn't quite right. Did some checking and the surface I was registered to was not right when compared to the bearing race. I decided the hub needed to be registered to the bearing surface....so I took an old spindle and spend about 4hrs making another tool.

I beveled the first two....but using the compound threw off my dro settings.....so I didn't do it on the second two. Steve wanted them cut to these dimensions. Mine will only be cut enough to fit the rims :) .....but then again....I can always recut them if I need to :)

Thanks for the help Mike!! What a fun day! I now have hubs that will allow me to run pretty much any wheel for my 521 and the KC :D

wow i need to ship my hubs down there. i gave mine to my brother because at the place i used to work with him the have a huge lathe. but they havent even touched them yet!! i need them done too. woulda??? please!!!

$15 ea and you have to pay the shipping both ways...not sure it's worth it. The rotors have to be off and all the grease cleaned out. The races stay in, but the bearings don't. Slodat and I had worked out a trade.....so I didn't do them for free even though it appears that way :)

2eDeYe;94339'']Nicely done. :D

Thanks. :)

I can't see it being much more than the $15 Mike quoted...maybe $25-50 at your local machine shop. Pretty sure we had both mine done in about 1/2 hr or so..the second one went quicker.

dwnshftr, how much did it run you for the machining?

flat rate box through who? usps? ups? fed ex ground? That sounds like a great price :)

USPS Flat Rate Priority Box http://www.usps.com/shipping/prioritymail.htm

2eDeYe;94469'']I can't see it being much more than the $15 Mike quoted...maybe $25-50 at your local machine shop. Pretty sure we had both mine done in about 1/2 hr or so..the second one went quicker.

The nice thing about the way Mike did them is they are centered on the bearing....

cheapest I found that might work was around $10.....but that's still cheap.

Having it done on a brake lathe centers it on the bearings too. Having a machine shop do it......????......they may or may not and it may be different between shops.....but I would hope they did it from the bearing races :)

So it looks like it would be $50 total. $30 for the lathe work, $10 or so for the shipping back. The other $10 is for the grief of having to pack it and ship it and the potential 3% I'll lose from the guys who use a credit card on Paypal and don't bother to add the fees, making me absorb them.

I can probably come up with cores to do first and ship for the guys doing daily drivers......but there's going to be a $50 core on it....there's gotta be some kind of motivation for you to ship the cores back.....otherwise I'll have to keep going to the s/y and finding more. If that were the case....I'd only do local! :) .....and I need the measurement first :)

no local machine shop will even bother with small jobs, they arent set up for them. they want like 250 for tool up. buncha crack heads. the rotors are off, as well as the studs and bearings. i have them ready as they are with my bro for machining at his work. but they dont have the spindle to do it with. ill see if they have started yet.

Redeye....do you...or anyone else know....just what the inside diameter of the titans are? We cut slodat's hubs pretty far in just to make sure they'd clear, but I'd rather only cut as much as necessary. Any idea if they're the same as the z71 or escalade rims?