Negative sparks

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude kevin help this guy.... 

ok so did you ever get a multimeter?

were any wires ever cut during the hi-jacking that you can see?

my theory from what i can understand, and what it sounds like to me is when the IGN. was fucked with one of the wires(starter wire?) had too much of a draw melted with another wire.

the parasitic draw test that draker mentioned, is what needs to happen, if you want a little bit of auto electrical savy. thats the first thing you need to learn, well of course after you learn how to use a " multi meter "

take a video, of the 3 components, and or of the funky shit that is happening when you do different things.

your fuses should not light up 

• Like 1

I must. I've gotta be wrong here. No way a mechanic missed this. But confirm your battery is positive to red, negative to black. And that black/neg goes to frame and red/positive goes to the insulated post on the starter.

Also, spend about $25 on a mulitimeter. It should actually still work next time you need it in a year. $3 meter is landfill.

Which fuse is glowing?

Get that fuse out of there for now.

Does the starter still engauge with fuse out?

Is the ignition switch (not the key portion, but the switch below it) in the on position?

Pull the small wire from the starter relay. Plug in battery. does the starter engage? Did the battery spark?

Drink another beer.

Report findings with a picture of the battery with passenger side of bay.

Don't stress, you will figure this out soon. Electrical is daunting cause you can't see it. But it's also extremely simple when everything is the same voltage and the car is 40 years old.