Front Cover Bolt Specs

edin

Hi folks--

I was installing the front cover last night on my L18 and broke a bolt. Whoops. Was being sloppy and overtorqued it. When I tore down the engine, I was really diligent with marking every bolt that came off the car but I seem to be missing one... I'm going to try to get the broken bolt out and redo with a new set of bolts. I know that some places offer kits, but I'm on the east coast and would like this engine back in the car this weekend.

Anyone know the specs on the front cover bolts? Thread diameter, pitch, and length? Would like to be able to pick up locally and get this thing sorted.

e

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a diagram of all the bolts and their OEM part numbers somewhere. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

The front cover bolts are either 6mm x 1.0 or 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch with varying lengths. Sometimes the holes they go in have to be thread chased to make sure they won't get stuck or broken again.

I thought I had chased the threads before the block got hot tanked. I probably didn't. I often think I'm being more diligent than I am.

The front cover isn't sealing pressurized oil, so maybe missing one bolt if I can't get it out isn't the end of the world... I should find that missing bolt though.