Valve noise

Kennyt

Z24 engine in 85 720. Replaced engine with an z24 out of my 83 720. Swap went well. Engine idled great and accelerated great. No noises. Engine ran fine for 2 days.

The 85 720 had set for a few years with a blown head gasket before engine swap.

Out of no where engine started skipping and a horrible rattle when depressing accelerator with no load sitting in park. Changed plugs wires and cap. All vacuum lines connected. Has original carburetor. Changed both fuel filters as well. No avail

Pulled valve cover and inspected. No visible issues. Checked noise with stethoscope and seems to be coming from #4 cylinder exhaust valve side in head.

Other than adjustimg the valves, does anyone have any suggestions on what the issue may be? All help greatly appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn engine by hand and look at the valve clearances on the #4 intake and exhaust. Is one excessive, like really bad? Possibly you've dropped a valve seat. A compression test would show zero compression. Your '85 head would work for a replacement if this is the case.

• Like 1

He put the '83 engine in the '85.  The '85 engine has the blown head gasket.

Z24s don't have lash pads.  At least I never saw any when I had mine apart.  Adjuster acts directly on the valve stem.

But I second doing a compression test, but it sounds pretty severe if it's making noise AND not  firing on that cyl.  You might find mechanical damage to one or both spark plugs in #4, which could indicate you dropped a seat or broke a valve.