Joined the 620 club this weekend!

Kytoaster

Well, I had been looking for a small truck for forever. Something that was insanely simple to work on, preferably carb'd, and with as few moving parts as possible. Also, it needed to be tiiiny.

Amazingly, I ran across a "project" 620 that the owner was looking to get rid of asap, as he was moving.

When I showed up, it didn't run, didn't start and didn't stop at all.

Towed her home, changed out what looked like an oem fuel filter, bled the brakes, replaced the fuel lines and vacuum hose, and she started right up!!!

I'm genuinely in shock, I was expecting to have to tear her apart and do a full rebuild!!!

I'm trying to figure out if this rear bumper is some sort of oem add on, or just redneck engineering at it's finest.

LoHkV6v.jpg

VEPpE8N.jpg

Update:

I had hoped that I could clean out the carb with a mix of premium fuel and seafoam, but at anything over 1/4 throttle, I am absolutely DUMPING fuel out of the exhaust, so it looks like that is a no go. 

Ordered a weber at the suggestion of a friend who builds all sorts of hot rods and has a very special love for old japanese/french cars after he and I went over it completely, should be here next week!

I also bled the brakes (Had previously just bled the master cylinder)..and....woooooww....I've bled many brake systems...and never seen anything like this. 

It wasn't a solid, or a liquid, haha. It was brake fluid...plasma?  Anyway, bled them, and it stops 10x better now, but needs another full bleed with my vacuum bleeder (I ran out of fluid and had to stop, but got most of it flushed), as I don't get braking power until around halfway through the pedal push.

Shot of my interior:
5RLnFnP.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many imports were delivered without the bumpers to avoid the 'chicken tax' by being not completely assembled and putting the bumper on here. May have been done on the docks or by dealers? Anyway they look so much better without them. The '74 had the next largest L18 engine. Nice truck and welcome to Ratsun. 

Tombstone? I'm guessing you mean that massive rear bumper?

Under hood is surprisingly clean.....interior....well.....that's a whole different ballgame...

Currently trying to figure out if I should just grab some foam and vinyl material from the local fabric store and cover it, or take it somewhere ot have it done. 

I've done motorcycle seats before, but they are seem like they would be way less work than a bench seat. 

I haven't actually checked yet, I'm hoping they are just stuck on (I'm thinking they are, as they aren't evenly spaced or anything). I may try a heatgun+ prying a little with a putty smoother when I get home.

Nice truck.  You should have seen my rear bumper.  That was redneck engineering.  Although the design wasn't bad, the excecution was poor.  It was a homemade bumper with holes cutout for the lights.  Again, not a bad idea, but the holes were cut out with a plasma cutter and they never cleaned up all the slag from the plasma cutter.  I've been looking for the original style bumperettes,  but I don't think anybody makes them anymore.  Even thought about using the early 70 camaro RS front bumperettes, but they are pricey for replica bumperettes.

• Like 1

I actually called weber carbs directly and ordered it, it's already here, and running great with the weber!

Wow, I thought my rear bumper was bad, geez.

Up next is: Flush water out of coolant system and fill with coolant, change oil, bleed brakes (again, ran out of fluid after 3 wheels last time), and check valve clearances!