1984 long bed 2wd ST

84longbedST

I have a 1984 720 long bed 2wd ST trim, single cab 5 speed. I've had the truck for about 5 months now. Its got 107k and I'm the second owner. The 2.4 is strong and doesn't burn or leak oil. I've put in new plugs, wires, coils, etc as well as new fuel pump and relay. Also new tires. The interior is fairly clean and the truck runs and drives well but the body is beat. Lots of rust on the outside of the bed and body damage on several parts of the truck. I will try and post pics tomorrow. Just looking for suggestions on finding a bed or repairing mine but I'm sure it's beyond repairing. I love the truck and plan on lowering it as well as a possible engine swap. I really want to get the body straight first but parts aren't easy to find just looking for pointers etc. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1984 720 long bed 2wd ST trim, single cab 5 speed. I've had the truck for about 5 months now. Its got 107k and I'm the second owner. The 2.4 is strong and doesn't burn or leak oil. I've put in new plugs, wires, coils, etc as well as new fuel pump and relay. Also new tires. The interior is fairly clean and the truck runs and drives well but the body is beat. Lots of rust on the outside of the bed and body damage on several parts of the truck. I will try and post pics tomorrow. Just looking for suggestions on finding a bed or repairing mine but I'm sure it's beyond repairing. I love the truck and plan on lowering it as well as a possible engine swap. I really want to get the body straight first but parts aren't easy to find just looking for pointers etc. Thanks for reading.

Why would you want to do an engine swap for?

The '80-'84 beds have a horizontal bed seam that rusts out. The '85-'86 has a one piece smooth side which is less susceptible to rust. It's not an exact match as the later box is slightly different but there a better chance of finding one in good shape.

The Z24 has a problem with the head gaskets. They tend to blow at about 100k. The factory recommend preventative is to re-torque the head bolts every tune up. (I think once a year is plenty) It's easy, just make sure the engine is cold by letting it sit over night. Remove the valve cover and loosen one bolt and tighten to 60 ft lbs. Move onto the next bolt and do the same. You can do this in any order you like BUT only one bolt is to be loosened at a time, and it must be torqued to 60 ft lbs before moving to the next. That's it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I have a receipt for a full head rebuild in 2002 but I'm not sure what mileage it was done at. There are large rust spots on the outer walls of the bed,not so much on the seams. I do believe it has double wall bed not for sure though. Only considering an sr swap or rb for more power as I haven't found the z24 has much room for heavy mods. It will stay in the truck for a while though due to finances and It is my daily for now. What is recommended tranny and diff oil for this truck? Wanting to change because I have no records of if or when it was changed.

One of the major differences in the beds is the taillights.

In the early models they have only brake/running(red) and turn signals(amber) in the bedside corner, reverse lights are in the lower valance.

The later models had brake/running/turn(red) and reverse lights all in the bedside corner.

It's not difficult to rewire for the newer style, just thought you should be aware.

Thanks Draker. That-son, I will look into rockauto because I do need a fender. Really want a whole rust free bed as well because mine is pretty bad but not many 720s in junk yards around here, especially long beds. Considered building my own flatbed since I can weld but not big on that look on a 2wd