Flywheel/clutch fitment ?????

raggmann

Need some quick help and don't have time to search

I have my '72 521 (1.6L) apart and just dropped in my 1.8L outta the donor '74 620.

The clutch is binding against the bell housing and I can't budge the crank pulley. I pulled the engine again and found rub marks inside the bell housing.

Can I just use the flywheel and clutch off the 1.6 on the 1.8? I see the pressure plates are doweled in a different position between the two but if the 1.6 assembly will work on the 1.8 then that'll save me having to swap the tranny's while it's apart.

I'm ok swapping the tranny's tho but I'm concerned that I'll have to modify the drive shafts.

Can anyone shed a little light on this? I'd like to get it done asap

Thanks,

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L18 from the 620 uses a larger 225mm clutch. The only year that has a 5 bolt 225mm flywheel. Yes you can and should use the L16 200mm flywheel and clutch. Be sure to use the L16 release bearing collar with the L16 flywheel and clutch. They are matched to each other. The release collar is the thing that clips on the clutch arm and holds the bearing. The L18 collar will be a different length and matched to the 225mm clutch.

I've heard that larger clutches will rub the 521's 4 speed but ... well good to know.

I took a picture with my phone but don't have the time to upload to photobucket.

The pressure plate & clutch seem to be a bit bigger-like 200mm vs 225mm and the outside of the pp is hitting the bell housing.

The 1.6 fw is doweled different than the 1.8 but I was concerned about balance issues using the 1.6 fw on the 1.8

Thanks Mike

I'll post pics tomorrow

Back to the barn

The early L16 powered 620s ('73) were the same, but in '74 the longer 71B 4 speed was used. 

Both the 521 and the 620 use a two piece drive shaft. The front half on the 620 was shortened to use the longer 71B transmission. I don't know for sure if the 521 and the 620 have similar length drive shafts but if the difference is the different lengths of the two 4 speeds, (5.5") them maybe all that's needed is to swap the shorter 620 front drive shaft onto the 521.

Daniel or wayno might know.

Thanks guys. Got the flywheel changed to the 1.6 assembly and it all went in with no issues. BUT.... now I can't get it to start. Been at it 5-1/2 hrs and can't figure it out.

The 1.8 was running when I pulled it and had great compression. That's what prompted this swap-low compression in the 1.6

It turns over great an wants to run but won't. Timings right, firing order is right, it just won't run. I've walked away at this point 'cause I'm tempted to drag it out back and use it for target practice or set it on fire

Now I'm thinking maybe it's the single point internal condenser distributor causing my grief.

I think I'll swap the dual point, external condenser distributor off the 1.6 in. That's what the trucks wired for so.....

Yes, eventually I'll be looking for a Matchbox but for now I gotta get this thing running

So here's the difference in the discs photo2_zps3fe34a2e.jpg

Here's where the pressure plate rubbed the bell housing when I turned the engine over by hand

photo1_zps0a0427ff.jpg

Here's what I'm up against trying to get it running now

th_IMG_3401_zps667d4bab.jpg

Any ideas ??

Lol, thanks Mike. Yeah, if I give it throttle it gets worse. I poured a little gas down the throat of the carb and it tried to run. I'm kinda suspecting fuel pump maybe not putting out enuf.

If it makes a difference I'm using the 521 L16 carb on the L18

The carb off the L18 is covered in junk. Hoses, wires, crap all over. Looks way more confusing that the one off the 1.6

I'll just wait till I've got the peso's to get a Weber. Or SU, or Delardo, or ??