a87 questions

I would change the valve guid seals first. This may solve most of the problem and cheap and easy enough to do. If it doesn't it's not wasted effort.

ATF has no real 'weight' rating but it's around 7-12W. I know it lubricates auto transmissions but it also has a trans cooler to keep the temps down. Just drive it and get some miles on it. Keep an eye on the color. Dark means the carbon is being loosened and held in suspension. Buy several cheap filters too.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a monroe track motor theres a chance it has been hot (too hot) a few times in its life, it might just need to be refreshed.

Prob needs to be re ringed and new seals.

Atf might help it, but if its fucked, its not gonna cure it. Im all for using atf in old barn motors that have been munged up for a while.

Actually its good to do to a street car a month before you wanna pull it apart too, from what ive seen atf cleans the gunk out better than seafoam.

The ones i have ATF'ed, they were better after.. But they were still old tired motors, just got a few more months out of em before they hit the hay.

• Like 1