first 720

720driver97

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK my truck doesn't have reverse

What does this mean? Fifth and reverse are on the same shift fork so... is fifth working ok?

The 720 has a reverse check sleeve that prevents a shift directly from 5th down into reverse.  Does the shifter go 'into' reverse? Or jammed?

With regard to the lift, SAS has been covered really well in a few threads on here. Poormans720 was a good one if I remember correctly.

31s fit without rubbing with a suspension lift. They call it a 3 inch but that is an optimistic statement. It is more like 2.5 inches at best.

With a body lift on top of that you can run 33s, but you usually need to trim the bottoms of the fenders wider as well. Going any higher or bigger requires SAS or fabbing up a lift kit like you can find for a chevy truck IFS.

These are general rules and like any other rule, you can find exceptions. Tire width, rim size and offset, willingness to run major positive camber, etc will all allow some exceptions to those rules.

If you decide to pull your transmission, pull the engine and transmission out together from the top. This is faster and easier than pulling the trans out from underneath. I realize that this may seem counterintuitive, but to get just the trans out, you will have to completely disassemble the front suspension/diff section. I've done multiple clutches and a couple trans swaps on these 720s. I've only done one out the bottom. Never again.

• Like 1

Your '83 will likely have C-200 and 4.11 gears. Not at all good for off-road but... The early 4X4 Toyota was 4.10 so this would be close enough mach to the rear axle ratio.

Stock tires are P215/75R15 or about 27.75" tall. Going to even 31" would be the same as changing the differential from 4.11 down to 3.6... even worse!!!!! To keep the same crawl speed and acceleration performance you would need to change both the differentials to 4.625s

• Like 1