Ignition problem

B.Teague

I have an 82 Datsun king can that will crank and run fine for about 2 minutes. Then it will start to backfire and eventually stop. After that it will only run of the ignition is in the start position. If you let it go back to the run position it will die. I replaced one of the two coils. Anyone have any input on this please?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First welcome to ratsun.

Now stop replacing things. Here's why.... you may but something that doesn't work in and add to your running problems. Parts should only be replaced if you know them to be bad or not working. It's very likely that you now have three good working coils . Worse... the original coil is probably better qua;lity that the one you replaced it with.

Did the engine run fine and just start running poorly lately?

Or is this a 'new' truck and you have never had it working properly before?

Sorry for being so vague about the history. The truck was bought new by my grandfather. I'm the 2nd owner. It ran great until I parked it a few years ago. Now I'm in resto mode and want to get it back into shape. The only reason I replaced the coil is because it had liquid coming out from around the top of it. Thanks for the welcome.

i had this on my 510 where it would start but not run in the ON position. I wiggled back connectred of the key switch. I assume it was loose of corrosion.

see if you have power to the coil with key ON.

then ck fuse or fusable link.

Im not a later truck expert. just best guess right now

reseat connections as you said hassent been running so corrossion would be my best guess

At first I thought it was. But I've been keeping an eye on the sight glass and the fuel level stays around the right spot. I also can't keep it running long enough for the choke to release. I have though held the choke flap open and it still does the same thing.

Wait, so you're saying that when it's cranking, it will "run", but as soon as you stop cranking, it doesn't? That doesn't sound like an "obvious" ignition switch problem. That sounds like it could be the starter keeping the engine cranking and firing on a minimal amount of fuel. If the primary jet is plugged, it will do exactly that. .. and if you don't believe that, it's happened to me. 

Obviously does not mean actually. It could be what happened to you. Or what happened to hainz ... and if you don't believe that, it's happened to me.

You raise a good point. What does he mean by "run"? Maybe he meant actual running, not just firing over. Where if you hold the key partway between Run and Start like happened to me.