picking up my first 510 project this weekend!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the help guys. I found a yard with a 79 280zx. It not U-pull but it has the whole front suspension and 5 speed.

Wants $400 for it. That's not too bad considering the trouble I'm having finding anything else. Sound right to anyone else?

yup

struts with hubs and calipers, rotors are about $2-300, $150/200 for a 5 speed at pick n pulls

so id grab it up

Awesome thanks for the quick reply. Just went for it. Gotta stop spending till payday though so hopefully in a couple weeks the carb should be on its way too.

Before you jump on that.......

From another thread......

It could be from a zx..... just a first year. ('79) I have one. It was put in my 620 when that one quit, and just recently put in my 710. It's one tough sob. Only the '80-'83 have the two tallest overdrives.

Send it back.

• Like 1

posted in there but i did some reading as well. It seems his issue is solely because of the shorter OD gearing, which im fine with. I just needed something to make it move lol. I also found the measurements ill need for my driveshaft as well in that search. Thanks

• Like 2

I understand the getting it on the road part......but you also don't wanna mess yourself up for the future upgrades.....

$400 just might be a little steep for the undesirable trans...unless the struts are shortened and complete with brakes.....

....just my 2 cents.....

I understand the getting it on the road part......but you also don't wanna mess yourself up for the future upgrades.....

$400 just might be a little steep for the undesirable trans...unless the struts are shortened and complete with brakes.....

....just my 2 cents.....

Well the only reason it seems to be undesirable is because of the OD gearing. Im not worried about that in the least really. shorter OD just means ill have less need to downshift from 5th uphill.

My big plans for the future wont include the L16 or any trans ill get for it. Mostly looking into VG30e setups. I just want to get it running so i can get it out of storage where im not allowed to do any work to it.

I appreciate you looking out for me though. Really. you dont get that too often on forums anymore.

• Like 2

11071494_10152855340208224_7092873417622

Here's my yard haul. '79 zx 5 speed, front strut assemblies, brakes, and they gave me the LCA's and tension rods too. Dont know if i can use them but they came with the price. next ill need to source some coilover sleeves and get to work on making the front sit on its own since the PO tried to modify the pass strut and left it without a spring in it when he didn't finish

• Like 1

Ordered collars and cheap coilovers/sleeves to get the front end together. Should have either a weber on the way the end of the week or may some SU carbs if my brothers buddy comes through.

CAN NOT WAIT.

Pics to come when i get everything and get to work on the zx front end stuffs.

• Like 2

Got to do some work today. I realized the box of random parts this thing came with had a trans mount in it, as well as what looks to be an electronic distributor.

Got the chassis rolling a little better but im missing the driver side tension arm so ill need to find one of them or order a set.

Cut the perches off the zx struts but i have to bring the setup to work to break the but holding the insert in place so i can start putting the coilover set on. Just need it to roll well and to look even at least lol. Im also not sure if i should be using the stock 510 top hat or if i have to order something.

Got a flywheel/clutch setup on its way as well as a Weber card. Soon enough ill be able to start piecing it together.

11060018_10152879468498224_2156715999439

11081257_10152879468323224_4814306846700

Also, are the stock Zx springs and top hats worth anything? might try to sell them off for a couple bucks to help move this along faster.

Thanks for looking in.

Started pulling the strut inserts apart for cleaning. My coilover sleeves wont even go on over all the rust and dirt. Should fit better after i hit it with a wire wheel.

10358871_10152883079328224_6650903829460

11109448_10152883079263224_3366593986413

Also got some goodies in the mail

13790_10152883079188224_373650174367310310994936_10152883078473224_648892817185810406863_10152883078573224_913433123829711102644_10152883078908224_7668483069728

gotta get the flywheel cleaned up and maybe lightened a little bit. Not sure if the pressure plate is salvageable or if i should just get a full clutch kit for it.

Also have to figure out this carb lol. having trouble finding much info on throttle linkage and such since i get my car in pieces so i dont have much reference.

Should be able to move the car home soon so i can get it together ASAP

• Like 1

I've never been comfortable installing used clutch components in cars, used flywheels are fine as long as they are crack-free and have good teeth still, but I'd recommend just buying a new clutch kit.

~Peter

• Like 1

I've never been comfortable installing used clutch components in cars, used flywheels are fine as long as they are crack-free and have good teeth still, but I'd recommend just buying a new clutch kit.

~Peter

thats the likely route. im just trying re-use what i can to get it done sooner. Ill be pulling all this back out for a more modern platform hopefully within a year or two anyway.

The pressure plate does seem to be at the end of its road though lol. the disc is trash without question. It was stuck to the pressure plate when i pulled it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got most of my bits and pieces. Gonna be moving the car home wed and should hopefully have the engine and trans cleaned up and bolted in same day as well as some chassis work done.

I'm gonna make a full build thread after I get to work.

I hope it all goes easily.