picking up my first 510 project this weekend!

Needless to say I'm super ecstatic. its a '71 510 4 door. Not much rust it looks like and comes with a bunch of stuff. It's in pieces, but comes with full interior, exterior, l16 and auto trans which was apparently modified by a previous owner.

Only fall back is it doesn't come with a carb so I've got to source something to get it going. I'll also be looking for a 4/5 speed for it. Car is coming with the manual pedals too which is awesome.

Im going to be doing some more digging into carb options and trans options. I've read I can use a few different transmissions and still use the stock driveshaft which would be nice. Not sure on carbs though. I've only worked on newer FI stuff till now. Can't wait to get my learn on!

• Like 2
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PICTURES!!!!!

As it sits now waiting for me

11035740_10206429307078151_2111915496716

Some of the rust spots. This is about it though. floors aren't bad at all.

961780_10206419279907478_1930551654_n.jp11056755_10206419278507443_27229445_n.jp11047119_10206419251906778_625336139_n.j

This is before the PO pulled it apart. He said he bought it not running (sans carburetor)

11041332_10206419286107633_11516966_n.jp

Cant wait to get my hands on it and start putting it back together.

• Like 1

Welcome! That rust at the bottom of the window might be problematic if it is more than surface rust.

yeah it seems like it could be a little deep. If it just has small holes it could likely be repaired with a MIG and some shaving. My dad has been welding and doing body repair for a few decades and im trying to learn so there's an opportunity.

Learn as much as you can, a Datsun is a good start on learning rust repair, lots of practice available on them.

Will do for sure. Ive been after one of these for close to a decade so ill be getting all the practice it'll allow lol.

• Like 1

If it's a stock L16 then I would recommend a weber 32/36 DGV. Can be picked up cheap used and also aren't bad if you buy a brand new kit which will come with the manifold adapter, air cleaner, linkage and an electric choke. http://www.jameng.com/products/Nissan-Weber-32%7B47%7D36--conversion-kit-for-510%2C610%2C-%26-710.html

Very simple carb, easy to rebuild and it adds a good amount of power compared to stock

shift kit?   lol that rust in the window seam will be your biggest pain but it can be dealt with the rest of it is now offered as repop stuff throuh th alfa store and futofab ... nice car ... i have a 280zx turbo tranny for my aito swap but no pedal assemblys yet.........its a easy swap from what i hear ...... nice car .. but its not for sale bro ... lol 

• Like 1

my opinion and experience with webers is buy a old one ... i have used new ones from all manufacturers/suppliers and they all have been junk ... my best luck has been with rebuilding old ones i have or have gotten ... 

If its incomplete it gets expensive real quick buying parts and rebuild kits. Just depends on if you want to deal with the hassle of being cheap (not a bad thing), or if you just want plug & play.

So i found a guy on FB with a Weber 32/36 for $140.  said its been sitting so it would be best to get a rebuild kit for like $20. I just need to find a decent manual trans locally. Would a 73 240z 4 speed work with the L16? one is on ebay for like $250 shipped.

I just want to drive it lol

Thanks man! Got the car last night. It definitely needs some love and attention lol. The lower quarters are legit rotted out on both sides. Looks like a little body filler was laid over one side. The taillight panel and rear valence are starting to separate too. Looks like after it runs and drives I'll be ordering some metal panels.

The L16 looks to be in decent shape though. I guess the head was worked on before the previous over got it and it may have cam work done.

I'll get some fresh pictures up soon. Unfortunately it's in storage till i gather the all the pieces I need to get it running and driving.

First list of things to do:

Fix front suspension since the p side strut is damaged from attempted modification.

Get a carb and trans pieces.

Fix/assemble brake system

Clean and re-install gas tank or fuel cell as well as run new lines.

And that's just so far so I can bring it home. It's gonna be tons of fun.

So i found a guy on FB with a Weber 32/36 for $140.  said its been sitting so it would be best to get a rebuild kit for like $20. I just need to find a decent manual trans locally. Would a 73 240z 4 speed work with the L16? one is on ebay for like $250 shipped.

I just want to drive it lol

Little pricey, especially if manual choke and no manifold adapter. I'd offer him half.

Not totally sure but I think the Z trans is a different length, so you would need a different drive shaft too. And if you have to do that you might as well just get a five speed.

So it looks like the guy I bought this from works at a salvage yard and is gonna let me pick stuff off of a 240/260z they have for a decent price.

I was gonna grab the trans/clutch setup, front suspension, and maybe the carbs since I was reading about SU carbs working on L16s. If not I could probably rebuild ands sell them.

Anything else I should look out for when I go?

Not much to grab off those two models.....maybe the brake master if it's still good....and the diff from the 240.....

You want a trans and front struts from an 80-83 280zx......

The SUs are good if they're the round top ones.....flat tops kinda suck from what I've heard........

........but I have minimal experiece with SUs.....

Not much to grab off those two models.....maybe the brake master if it's still good....and the diff from the 240.....

You want a trans and front struts from an 80-83 280zx......

The SUs are good if they're the round top ones.....flat tops kinda suck from what I've heard........

........but I have minimal experiece with SUs.....

Well i read any L series trans can work with the L16. im just shooting for getting the car moving under its own power. Its a 4 speed but i dont know how long it'll be before i can find a 5 speed for sale cheap. I guess i assumed the earlier z suspension would be similar or the same. Ive been grinding so much information searching that im likely mixing stuff up anyway.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Perfect, got it.

Im having a tough time finding anything locally. might be stuck waiting and just picking up something newer. CA18 or a VG30e would be dope. i just didn't want to wait so long before i could drive.

Maybe i can find sev6 struts from club-s12...