Non Responsive OP

Someone mentioned it the other day, how it bothers them when the OP of a thread almost never finishes a thread, that at some point they just tuck tail and run.

I thought this just bothered me, but I guess not. Forums are like a book or movie to me. I like there to be an ending or at least a resolution, so when someone just leaves me hanging, I kind feel let down.

It's surprising how many newbs with 6 or 10 posts are affected by this syndrome. And I'm sure it's no coincidence that they almost never have an avatar and they don't know how to post pics.

I've said it before, I wish we could make it mandatory for an OP of a thread to post pics to get the thread started.

Not trying to incite a riot here...

Inserting random pic to set the example.

P3050116_zps7dbvu6gf.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is surprising to you that newbs with 6 to 10 posts are affected by this syndrome?

The way we treat some of them around here, really?

Although I also would like to see some of the threads come to an end, (and I am guilty of this myself) sometimes life, or maybe another car gets in the way and the thread gets forgotten.

Not everyone comes here to socialize about their Datsuns, this is true. In the great tapestry of human kind there are bound to be those who are... introverts, timid, socially awkward, unschooled (can't spell) intimidated, internet inept, don't care or are just loners. People do come here for an answer to a question about their Datsun. Not a lot of everyday common knowledge about them any where else and if answered there is no reason to stick around, if not answered... the same. A forum is also as anonymous as you choose.

All noobs are encouraged to post pictures. It's hard to believe that today someone doesn't have access to a digital camera. I don't think we should require it. Most posters naturally learn how through necessity to explain themselves.

Yes, I like a good ending. Failing that, an ending at least. We have enough successful outcomes to more than cover no outcomes, I guess. It would be nice to find out if a few tips have helped someone keep their Datsun on the road to enjoy them like an enthusiast or just to get back and forth to work. A successful ending might follow a successful beginning... see below.

KELMO has a good point about noobs and I mention it only to say treatment is much better than it was. The first few posts define who we are, noobs and older members. By the time you are old enough to drive a Datsun you are likely well versed in forum protocol and the average person isn't put off by a few comments. However, as mentioned above.... (introverts, timid, socially awkward, unschooled, (can't spell) intimidated, internet inept, don't care or are just loners).... can also be Datsun owners and are forced to seek answers on the internet. Some welcoming to our community is reasonable and assuming a person is thick skinned is not. We have had some disastrous first posts by noobs who later became highly regarded long time contributing members. We should assume the next new member is this person.     

My biggest complaint is that those of us that do "hang out" here are left hanging a lot. As you said, Mike, I would like to find out what happened, if our advice was helpful. Kind of like Stump the Chumps on CarTalk.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I'm really trying to illustrate how much fun it is to figure out a problem, but it's kind of an empty feeling when there is no resolution.

What vehicle is that, SM?!

That's my '83 Toyota Hilux I'm building. I've got 500 or so hours into it in the last year. It's kind of a resto-mod. Here's the build thread. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/132792-1st-Gen-Hilux-3RZ-build-thread-Stoffregen-Motorsports

The pic is of the dash I am finishing up. There's 100 hours into it so far.

P3050118_zpsotimzdhs.jpg

P3050115_zpskaksbqmu.jpg

My biggest complaint is that those of us that do "hang out" here are left hanging a lot. As you said, Mike, I would like to find out what happened, if our advice was helpful. Kind of like Stump the Chumps on CarTalk.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. I'm really trying to illustrate how much fun it is to figure out a problem, but it's kind of an empty feeling when there is no resolution.

Not a complain but a lament? If only they would finish what they start, right?

There's no pay for fix suggestions... sometimes maybe a thank-you. I love problem solving and a resulting happy Datsun owner.  

• Like 1

Right.

I don't even need a thank you, but knowing that someone's problems were resolved would be nice. There's a special place for old cars. Resurrecting them and keeping them alive is very important to me.

Me too!!!

So, SM... It looks like it's a '83 4x4 Toy, right? If so, why did you not choose an '84-'88 Toy rather? Just curious.

Thanks!

<><

First gen Toyota 4x4's are crazy right now. I saw a stocker sell for $10K last year and there is a feeding frenzy right now.  But on top of that, I got the truck in a trade and it was already a pretty capable crawler. I figured I'd take the summer to do an engien swap and tidy things up a bit. Well 500 hours later I am still not done and I need to finish it before summer.

84-88 trucks are cool, but I've built so many of those that I was looking for something different.

^ Ooh, nice...

Now, keep in mind that there was also the Wolverine, even before those! But yeah, I like the wide fenders on those early 80's ones! They look really tough beefed up. The 84-88 look really "nice" beefed up, imo. Thanks for the reply!- another thing about you to keep in mind. :-)

Anyways, back to the subject, gentlemen! Lol