1980 280zx flywheel to a 1978 620 l20b

I am going to put a 1980 280zx 5 speed into a 1978 620 pickup. my question is will the 1980 280zx flywheel bolt up to my 620? I heard the 280zx flywheel is lighter (which is what I want). Also if it fits, what throw out arm, throw out bearing, collar and clutch assembly do I use? Or is it even worth the effort.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your self a favor and just use your flywheel, disc, clutch cover, and throwout bearing collar, it's just easier.

But if your determined to use the ZX flywheel, disc and clutch cover, and it fits your engine, then also use the ZX throwout bearing collar, the collar always follows the clutch cover(pressure plate).

• Like 2

Sorry if I offended you, but I am a Nicky New Guy to the site.(actually sort of confusing). I am going to use the 5 speed transmission from a 1980zx. I still have not got a response to my questions (it's a daily driver like a car)

Is the flywheel lighter ?

Will it bolt up to my 78 l20b 620 pickup ?

If it does ( now I would have a 280zx flywheel) on a 1978 l20b 620

Would I use a 280zx clutch assembly or a 1978 l20b 620 assembly (I believe they are the same)

What throw out bearing, clutch fork, and what sleeve to use ?

Sorry if I offended you, but I am a Nicky New Guy to the site.(actually sort of confusing). I am going to use the 5 speed transmission from a 1980zx. I still have not got a response to my questions (it's a daily driver like a car)

Is the flywheel lighter ?

Yes, about 21 pounds down from 29 pounds.

Will it bolt up to my 78 l20b 620 pickup ?

Yes it will bolt right on to your L20B engine. However you will find that taking off from a start will require slightly more revving and clutch slipping now and even more if carrying a load. This is because a lighter flywheel stores less kinetic energy to get a heavy truck off to a start. If you do a lot of in town stopping and going this is annoying. A lighter flywheel isn't going to turn your truck into a race car.

Would I use a 280zx clutch assembly or a 1978 l20b 620 assembly (I believe they are the same)

You could use either but I recommend the 620 one as you have the matching release collar or sleeve for it already. If you have the zx sleeve then you could us the zx clutch... 

What throw out bearing, clutch fork, and what sleeve to use ?

All throwout bearings are the same

Use the truck fork, it's the same as the zx fork.

The sleeve is covered in 3 above

• Like 2