Getting back to my A15 rebuild - best BFB upgrade?

rbastedo

I see the last I posted about my A15 motor rebuild was Oct. 1st.

My new pistons are pressed onto the rods and they're sitting in a box.

I've got rings and all the tools I need to reassemble, but before getting to it I'm wondering if there's any great Bang for the Buck upgrades I could do?

It's got a stock cam, would getting it reground be beneficial? I want to use the car for driving, not racing but am not opposed to a bit of extra power.

Is there a better then original oil pump or anything else I should do before buttoning it up?

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have any knowledge of Datsuns then they should be able to steer you in the right direction based on what you want. Header or no header, stock intake and carb or Weber DGV, daily driver, sit in traffic a lot, etc. Those are all things you are going to want to tell them. If they don't have any suggestions, then maybe someone here has actual cam specs for a cam they like.

Thank you!

It has the H89 head, dual British HIF4 SU carbs.

At this point installing a header is an option, I haven't looked into it at all but I think it would at least look cool in there and would maybe increase performance a little?

Anyone got suggestions for a good but not too expensive exhaust header?

It won't be sitting in traffic, I "drive it like I stole it" most of the time.

I may have been known to do stuff like: seeing a very straight and well paved piece of empty highway ahead I may have given in to temptation a couple times.

I have driven this car at Road America, Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, (actually on the track for an event) in a "spirited" way.

So I don't want anything that will make it too uncomfortable on a road trip but I'd like it to have a little more punch and maybe some longer legs under it.

One thing to consider is that currently the exhaust exits very close to the drivers footwell, I have insulated the heck out of this area but it still gets pretty warm there.

The car has a 3.73:1 rear end and the 60 series dogleg 5 speed.

Here is my ultimate plan for the car, it's called an Arkley SS. I have the glass body kit and (no shit) gold plated suspension parts from the dearly departed ex USA importer of the Arkley.

I'll buff up all the suspension parts before installing and probably clear coat it all so as to make it easy to keep clean.

The guy was nuts for having stuff plated and this was going to be his personal car before he passed, I bought it from the widow.

(this isn't my car, just an example that shows what I hope to do with mine)

brg-s2.jpg

Thank you!

It has the H89 head, dual British HIF4 SU carbs.

At this point installing a header is an option, I haven't looked into it at all but I think it would at least look cool in there and would maybe increase performance a little?

Anyone got suggestions for a good but not too expensive exhaust header?

It won't be sitting in traffic, I "drive it like I stole it" most of the time.

I may have been known to do stuff like: seeing a very straight and well paved piece of empty highway ahead I may have given in to temptation a couple times.

I have driven this car at Road America, Elkhart Lake Wisconsin, (actually on the track for an event) in a "spirited" way.

So I don't want anything that will make it too uncomfortable on a road trip but I'd like it to have a little more punch and maybe some longer legs under it.

One thing to consider is that currently the exhaust exits very close to the drivers footwell, I have insulated the heck out of this area but it still gets pretty warm there.

The car has a 3.73:1 rear end and the 60 series dogleg 5 speed.

Right now the stock exhaust runs within 1/16 - 1/8 inch from the drivers foot well.

If I can get a header in there maybe I can get it to fit with a bit more space between the exhaust and foot well, which would decrease operating temperature inside near the accelerator pedal and that would make longer drives a lot more comfortable.

I've insulated the area but it still gets very warm.

I am open to other ideas, is there a header for another engine that's close, could be cut and re-welded or heated and bent / adjusted?

I expect to have to do something to anything I get as this application isn't "standard".