Last autocross of the season! Spokane County Raceway this weekend!

HRH

So we had a shorter day today due to too many people and a late start, thus we only got 3 runs.  I had decently quick runs to begin with but kept mistaking a two-cone slalom with two gates as a chicago box for some reason.  Fortunately the 3rd run got that ironed out with a decent time.  Racing will continue tomorrow, hopefully we'll get a few more runs then.  Enjoy!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed! I'm up here today and no surprise it's the same course since we got kind of short-changed yesterday. And I'm running second which is good since ill have warmer temperatures.

Uploading more videos as we speak.  Today was freakin' awesome!  Came away with 75.7 to my fastest time yesterday of 77.3.  I found 7 grand is where the valves float on a 156,000 mile L24 810 motor. :)  Fortunately nothing bad happened.  I wasn't able to shift to third.  Would have liked to but when I'm hanging around a corner at the top of second, all I seem to get is very unhappy grinding.  I imagine the transmission mounts are flexing, or it's me being slimed around in my non-race seat.  Whatever the reason I tried it twice and made bad noises in the gearbox so I opted to forget about third and rev until I had a problem.

Fortunately, Ugly Betty held together just find and I didn't grenade anything.  That's about 65 or so in second banging around at the limit of 7000 rpm.  You can definitely hear the pitch change as the valves float at that point.  Go figure, I'm running a stock motor, no hi-performance valve springs...yet.

Here are the important pictures! :D

uglybettyoctocross_zpsaaf0fac0.jpg

uglybettyoctocross2_zps55c39dd9.jpg

• Like 1

Way cool! I gave serious thought to going to watch today, but stayed home to work on stuff instead. My mistake it seems. If we had come, Karen could have shot vids of your runs. Oh well, next year.

I've always wondered if different tranny ratios make much difference it autocross. With Z, ZX, and pickups to choose from you have somewhat of a choice of different ratios in the lower gears. At Pull n Save prices of course. Or maybe a lighter flywheel and performance clutch are more important. Shows how little I know about autocross.

I've been getting a little work done on my'48 Case wheel tractor. It has been non-running for so many years I think of it as an Honorary Datsun. But all four tires are back on it for the first time in 5 years or so. Now to get it fired up.

Len

• Like 1

You should bring the '48 to autocross Len!  :D  You should have come, you would have liked it.  And yes, tranny ratios and rear-end ratios are quite important.  Ideally you'll have a long enough second gear that you don't have to shift into third, and also don't have to drop down to first.  It depends on the course.  While close ratios get you good torque for coming out of the corners, it also means you have to shift more often.

2nd in my class.  They had some very fast people show up.  Fastest time of day was something around 62 seconds in a full-race Corvette driven by a guy who shows up to Octocross only.  Fastest local guys were in the 68s I think.  Results haven't been posted yet.

Results.  It was a double header so they put Day1 and Day2 times together.  Rather confusing, but I ended up 36th in raw times out of 83 that ran both days, and quite a few others that only did one day.  Looks like 144 total racers.

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/AUTOSPORTSNW/octocross%20day%201%20event%2014-2014_fin.htm

https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/files/AUTOSPORTSNW/octocross%20day%201%20event%2014-2014_raw.htm