B310 engine swaps?

floyd17

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. It makes peak HP at 5200 rpm, so you'll need to downshift. The 65 HP motor has no problems pulling hills. You have to rev even higher with the H72 head.

Well h72 head has bigger ports which generally means more airflow and more power

Your not even using the power you have now. You're lugging the engine. Put your foot down and let it rev.

Bigger ports make less HP than small ports at low rpms.

I know that I'm lugging it, that way. I rev it slam it in 2nd and pull the hill to 4k then shift, by that time I'm pulling a around 2900 in 3rd and am making close to peak torque.

I know that I'm lugging it, that way. I rev it slam it in 2nd and pull the hill to 4k then shift, by that time I'm pulling a around 2900 in 3rd and am making close to peak torque.

I just don't like running my car this hard 24/7. It wears out faster.

2900 rpm is nowhere near peak torque

The A14 was made to run 6000 rpm. So letting it rev to 5200 is not abusing it

I have the a15. It feels like it's going to sling apart past 5k. Peak torque is 3200 rpm. Max hp is 5200. Car falls on its face past 4500.

So let it rev to 4500. It is safe to run much higher, won't hurt the engine.

Sounds like you plan on keeping the A15 and are not serious about swapping engines.

I'm still weighing benefits and losses. I know I'll get the power I want from the KA. But in the mean time, until I get a steady job, mildly upgrading the engine to make it perform better might be the best option.

All you gotta do to perform better is let it rev. Its not a low-rpm Detroit cast iron wonder, so it deserves to not be driven like one.

All I can say to this is, "hell yeah." I'll try revving higher. I'll be out on a drive tomorrow afternoon. I'll report back with how it feels.

You shouldn't be having problems with the A. If my old worn out L18 could haul a 620 up all kinds of hills, the A should haul your lighter car up hills. It's like a Honda (kill me now) and needs to be revved higher like ggzilla stated. If it can't handle being revved, the engine is not in good shape and there are other problems. You should never try to pull hills in 5th gear, especially with lower HP engines.

If you are serious about doing a swap, I believe the A10 cross member is a direct swap and has better mounting points for the KA. A single cam KA should be easy to find and you can grab a CAN/AM box from steroid on here (if they still make them) to make wiring easy. However you will need to upgrade your rear end to handle the torque since you are young and basicly stated that you will be running it hard. get the cost of everything you need (engine, trans, cross member, can/am, ecu, maf, mounts, radiator, fan setup, exhaust work, trans cross member, and possibly a 510 station wagon rear end) multiply the cost by 2 and that is what you are probably looking at cost wise.

• Like 1

Being in Mississippi, you are going to be hard-pressed to find lots of things Datsun-related. 

Run what ya got. You've got more than enough with the A as it is.

I can get motors and parts fairly easy, especially with the amazing networking you can achieve on ratsun. There are parts out here. An 89 240sx and 79 810 rolled into the junkyard the same day, a week or 2 ago. It's like that almost every month. Always one or 2 Japanese gold mines out there.

You shouldn't be having problems with the A. If my old worn out L18 could haul a 620 up all kinds of hills, the A should haul your lighter car up hills. It's like a Honda (kill me now) and needs to be revved higher like ggzilla stated. If it can't handle being revved, the engine is not in good shape and there are other problems. You should never try to pull hills in 5th gear, especially with lower HP engines.

If you are serious about doing a swap, I believe the A10 cross member is a direct swap and has better mounting points for the KA. A single cam KA should be easy to find and you can grab a CAN/AM box from steroid on here (if they still make them) to make wiring easy. However you will need to upgrade your rear end to handle the torque since you are young and basicly stated that you will be running it hard. get the cost of everything you need (engine, trans, cross member, can/am, ecu, maf, mounts, radiator, fan setup, exhaust work, trans cross member, and possibly a 510 station wagon rear end) multiply the cost by 2 and that is what you are probably looking at cost wise.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. I know my motor CAN do it. But it feels really lame when mini vans are outrunning you in traffic. Driving with the speed of traffic is very hard. I have a 0-60 of around 12 seconds.

Basically I'm just not satisfied with my current power output, and I'm exploring other avenues. I've seen lots of KA swaps, it's easy to carb if I want, its pretty much "bolt In" besides the trans mount, shift hole, and driveshaft. If I do. And if I use the 720 trans, the shift hole lines up.

Just keep researching. Also keep in mind that you need to double whatever you think it will cost to do the swap. there are many swaps that have started and never been finished. Also remember you are driving a classic car with fewer "safety" options than the newer vehicles. I forgot to add a brake upgrade, but you will probably need that if you do a KA swap. Also, since you have an A-series cross member I doubt it is anywhere near bolt in. The mount points on the cross member will either need to be modified or you will need a new cross member. to my knowledge.

All of that said, it's your car so good luck with whatever you decide. As far as possible swaps, anything will fit with enough sawzall love, time, and money. Personally, if I ever pull the A15, I will swap in a VG30ER.

it's almost cheaper to just buy another b310 ..... and tear that one apart... then when you're finished with a motor swap, in ten years, or you give up, or you can't afford to finish, you'll still have a driving Datsun

I'm aware I'm investing more time and money than this car is worth. But I do not foresee myself selling this car. I'll probably drive the a until it's done for and just keep saving cash and parts for the swap until then. And when it's worn out, I'll do a KA swap

Just keep researching. Also keep in mind that you need to double whatever you think it will cost to do the swap. there are many swaps that have started and never been finished. Also remember you are driving a classic car with fewer "safety" options than the newer vehicles. I forgot to add a brake upgrade, but you will probably need that if you do a KA swap. Also, since you have an A-series cross member I doubt it is anywhere near bolt in. The mount points on the cross member will either need to be modified or you will need a new cross member. to my knowledge.

All of that said, it's your car so good luck with whatever you decide. As far as possible swaps, anything will fit with enough sawzall love, time, and money. Personally, if I ever pull the A15, I will swap in a VG30ER.

I read blue ballz swap and he used the 200sx cross member, with no effect on camber, etc. but I'm prepared to spend money, and I'm prepared for unexpected bumps. That's part of hot rodding.

200sx or A10 crossmember will bolt right in.

Same parts.

Finding either of those with a Z already installed makes the swap that much easier.

Rear from either will be an upgrade in strength.

Rear from a 200sx will get you disc brakes rear end.

• Like 1