rear differential for ka24de swap

Been doing lots of reading, trying to figure out which is the best/closest to direct bolt on/minimal effort rear diff to switch to when doing a ka swap. I've read in a few places that stock will work but its easy to explode it. Seen a few options wondering what those who know best prefer. I found a 5sp transmission to go with the motor I just picked up. 80 bucks on eBay, local pick up only. Just happened to be 20 miles away. Guy says it works fine, he just wants it out of his life. Soon I'll be able to see if I'm just adding parts to a giant paper weight or if I've got something working. Thanks for the opinions/advice.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks as always for the lightning fast response and excellent information. Some of the threads I read suggested the stock diff wasn't strong enough. Not using slicks and not abusing it isn't a problem. A hair of spirited driving from time to time, maybe but no abuse. I don't plan on racing or launching the car at all. Just want a nice summer daily driver with a little bit more power than stock. Thanks again ggzilla and datzenmike, you two are always there with fast, polite, and accurate information.

I ran a stock R160 behind my KA for 5 years which included much spirited driving and a season of autocrossing.  I only replaced it with an R180 because I wanted an LSD.  Like previously stated, as long as you don't totally abuse it (burn outs, hard launches, etc) it will be just fine.

I blew my R160 up within about 2 weeks of my KA swap... but it lived a hard life during those two weeks, and the car had previously had an SR in it, so who knows the horrors it endured!  Got lucky- the spiders lodged themselves in a way that let me limp it home!

If you don't drive like a jerk you should be all good, though- do as I say, not as I do!

Thanks for all the responses, glad to hear the general consensus is that stock is fine if not beaten on. One less thing to have to buy and monkey with up front is always good news. Here is one of the threads I was originally reading, its about Sr's but the original poster asks about using the stock rear diff with the ka as well and is told its not a good idea.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18329

There was another one where a few people basically said "no" or "its a bad idea" but damned if I can find it again. I get the point though, if I don't beat on it, it (probably) won't break prematurely. Seems to make good sense.

While driving it around, keep your eyes open for a R-180 differential for an upgrade. They are in Z cars and 810/Maxima sedans as well as 720 4x4s. The 720 ones are 4.11 and higher though and the Maxima are very low. 180 is the ring gear diameter in mm and is larger and stronger than the R-160. You will have to research the swap.

Thanks for the great info on the r-180. Its going into the master list I am compiling of swappable parts. There is this fellow close to me,

http://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/4448798252.html

Says he has all kinds of z parts for 240,260,280... I'm going to give him a call. Are the rear diffs typically the same from z car to z car or should I ask about a specific z diff? Its pretty much a forgone conclusion that I won't be finding and 810's or 720's near me, 4x4 or otherwise. None for Parts swappin at least. They all rusted away many years ago. I have been to junk yards and pick and pulls a plenty and am always laughed away. The occasional z or zx or sx can still be found for sure but that's about it. I'll have to figure out what year Maxima's work. Depending on how recent they do i may have some luck. I'm sure its all covered in a different thread.