Scratching the 521 itch

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lights killing the engine - appears to be that the idle is too low

Gas & temp gauge being all crazy - Someone tried to do the voltage regulator swap I did a write up on but there is a burnt up wire on the PCB, this is causing my gauge issues

Going to fix both of those issues and heat shrink some wires. I think those two things will solve my electrical problems. Then I just need to fix the oil leak, order a coolant overflow bottle, rear view mirror and cabin light bulb.

A 521 did not have a coolant overflow bottle, but you can add one.  I just have a pop can, in front of the alternator, next to the radiator, held by the lower radiator hose.

The inside rear view mirror uses a 1/2 inch ball mount.  This is pretty common.  I have found a rear view mirror from a Mazda B2000 works really well, and I think it was made bt the same company that made the Datsun mirror.  Maybe a little investigation, and time on a junkyard, you could find a mirror with a "night" lever to reduce glare from cars behind you.

Oh really? ha ha ha... i started looking online for coolant overflow bottles but was having trouble finding one so that explains it. I saw several different oem looking solutions so i'll probably swipe one from the junkyard. Pretty sure it's half off entrance fees during holiday weekends - 4th of July is this weekend.... w00t!