Hey guys I need some info.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were different length dogleg transmissions, but I had one that bolted up into my 510 wagon. No driveshaft mod necessary.

Be sure to use the T/O bearing sleeve from the old transmission that you take out of the wagon, and install it into the dogleg trans fork when you do the swap. That's also a great time to replace the T/O bearing with a new one.

• Like 1

That is the correct length. No drive train modifications.

Like Micro said, just use all the clutch components of the 4 speed.

You will need to figure out how to mount the tranny, and its mount is in a different location, and about 1" lower.

His L16 and dogleg were a unit pulled out of the same car. He shouldn't need to change anything with the clutch setup. But for his reference, what you're saying is use the throw-out bearing and collar that is matched to the clutch he will be using. But on that note, is there anything on the clutch/pressure plate that will help identify what it is?

I heard I have to use a 280zx trans mount. Does that sounds right?

And what Carlos is asking is; will the Experimental Engineering 5spd trans mount work for putting the dogleg in the '71 goon? I'm guessing it will, can anyone verify?

Yes I'm going to install the L16 with trans in the goon.

Then if it was a running engine/transmission, you should not worry about what throwout collars to use, or arms, ect; just use what it has in it now.

But you should inspect everything while it is out and easy to do, and replace anything that doesn't look almost new.

I personally don't know a lot about 510s, but I suspect that if I have to modify my 521 mount to except a dogleg, then you are going to have to modify something to your 510 goon also.

What did you have to do to your mount?

My mount points forward, it needs to be shortened so the the mount is about 3/4 of an inch back, and about an inch lower so the top of the transmission clears the tunnel.

I am guessing on these measurements, they are approximate, I have a jig that I use to make a mount from scratch.

My mount points forward, it needs to be shortened so the the mount is about 3/4 of an inch back, and about an inch lower so the top of the transmission clears the tunnel.

I am guessing on these measurements, they are approximate, I have a jig that I use to make a mount from scratch.

Thank you for the info bro.

They are the same. Dave isn't making them right now due to health issues.

The T3 is very solid. I just installed one, no mods needed. Just get the correct tranny mount.

Sorry to hear that hope he's doing well.

Cool I will get the T3 then. They told me the 280ZX is the mount I need so I will buy that one.