help please

red13

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt find any info through search, but need to know what vehicles to rip out 5 speed trans for my 620. thanks

The only 5 speed that will 'drop in' a '73 620 is the FS5W63A from a '77-'79 200sx or S10. It's also an option on the '78-'80 A10 but not after '80. This is also known as a dogleg and has this shift pattern with reverse over first...

R 2 4

1 3 5

Later 620s after '73 used a much longer 71B 4 and 5 speed. If you can locate a later '74 and on shorter front driveshaft and mounting cross member then a later long 5 speed will fit. The FS5W81B (5spd.) can be found in the

'77-'78 280z**

'79-'83 non turbo 280zx (** '79) (*** '80-'83)

'77-'79 620 truck (** '77-'78)  (* '79)

'80 2wd 720 truck*

'78-'84 810/Maxima**

* wide ratio gears...... suitable for heavy truck with load, lower gearing widely spaced.

** mid ratio gears...... suitable for lighter cars or trucks in town, gears closer together

***close ratio gears.... big over drive, for light cars or larger motors and highway driving.

All three will work in your truck but if carrying loads and using as a truck I would use * and maybe **. If just for commuting then ** or maybe ***

The junkyard says it has a 89 200sx will this trans fit my l16 in my truck also?

No. Fits a different series of motor and too long.

Nice. I have one also. It sat for a few months in a scrap metal yard near me and I walked past it many times. The car was stripped of everything and looked like it had been run over by an excavator. All I could see was the tip of the valve cover and thought it was a 610/710 whatever. I checked and it was a z car! I bought it for $30 for anything I wanted off of it. Flywheel/clutch, driveshaft, water inlet steering wheel, relays, screws, plug wires, and a 5 speed!!! Well months later my 620 lost 5th and then wouldn't stay in 2nd and I swapped it in. Have been across Canada with it at least 6 times and back and it is now it's in it's third vehicle, in my 710. Quiet and shifts like silk. Best $30 I ever spent.

As to the driveshaft, it's a two piece so you only really need the front half, but DATSUN... get everything in case.

The '79 5 speed came with a 16, 17, 18 or 19 tooth speedometer  pinion gear in the transmission which covers the different rear end ratios and tire combinations. Your 620 will read way too fast with any of these gears. A 20 tooth will work in your truck. The completer pinion gear and sleeve ready to instal is 32707-R5620 about $25 at the Nissan dealer or look for one on any '74-'78 620 trucks. You can by just the plastic 20 tooth gear and remove the zx sleeve and swap it in by knocking out the roll pin. The 20 tooth is (I believe) 32703-78104 about $15

The transmission and the clutch are totally unrelated. Neither care about the other. You have a 620 L16 200mm pressure plate clutch disc, release bearing housing and flywheel, and it stays together as a matched set. The transmission used in the zx is pretty much identical to any 620, 810/Maxima or 280z transmission and doesn't care what vehicle it is in or if 6 or 4 cylinder.

So remove the zx release bearing collar ( as it belongs to the zx clutch/pressure plate set it was mounted to) Put your 620 release bearing collar on the clutch arm and mount the transmission. Hopefully you replace the release bearing while apart as it is easier now than in 8 months.