How does one go about rebuilding an R180?

Just sheer curiosity, my 240Z has a little whine that sounds like it may be coming from the diff. I need to check/change the gear oil and seals, but I'm mostly just curious what it takes to get in there and rebuild one. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Torque wrench

Dial indicator

Machinist bluing

New crush tube from Nissan

Factory Service Manual

Now generally, whine won't be fixed by rebuilding. Maybe if its out of spec, but usually its due to oil running low and the gears needs replacing.

Torque wrench

Dial indicator

Machinist bluing

Factory Service Manual

Now generally, whine won't be fixed by rebuilding. Maybe if its out of spec, but usually its due to oil running low and the gears needs replacing.

I see, yeah I've goofed around with solid axles, but never IRS. Wasn't sure if the procedure was different. 

I may start searching for an R200 with a lower gear for highway cruising. 

Pinion bearings sometimes let up (one of my 3.54's) , and other times it's the whole unit as a result of combined wear

(WOW !!!! I did an awesome job of stating the obvious....*pats self on back*)

I've always heard one noise or another... no 2 differentials have sounded the same to me out of a Datsun .... lol

Not sure if you have a 4spd ? (or if staying that way which is totally cool man if so !!!)

If so don't go any lower than 3.54... you'll hate yourself for out of town trips.... in fact it gets old ... quick (fun in-town though lolol).

I had a 3.54 in my yellow z with an L28 , and it was "ok" , enough for around the town/highway with enough of a smirk on me face while not being to high of rpm for beach/camping trips.

I think you can get away with a 3.70 ? , but I personally wouldn't do a 3.90 if you're going above 55mph unless you go with a .745 5th gear.

Not sure of the size of your tires , but all my opinion refers to the size below.

(195/70/14's.)

(195/60/14's.)

If you have a 5spd ... that is a 240sx "C" transmission fitted to a late zx front case or a late 81-83 280zx transmission choose a 3.90 , 4.11 , or if bold enough 4.375.

You can get a 4.11 or 4.375 R180 from a 720 4x4 front diff. (Some just bolt right in yo , some need the threaded buttons swapped in then you just bolt in your r180 side shafts and go !!!! ...... and has a better METAL vent in the cover .. not the plastic one).

You can get a 3.90 R200 from an 81-83 280zx N/A coupe or 2+2 (not turbo ! those are 3.54)

You can get a 3.70 R200 from a 79-ish 280zx coupe or 2+2.

You can get a 3.54 R200 from a 75-78 280z or 81-83 280zx Turbo coupe or 2+2.

You can get a 3.54 R180 from a 260z or a 240z automatic (some 280zx's although rare.. I owned one that did).

You can get a 4.11 R200 from a 200sx (although it's harder to come by).

I believe 72240z has a low ratio R180 from a 200sx as well (If I recall correctly he had to swap buttons for the shafts , and I got lucky on one 4.11 "K" stamped in the top from a 720 that had bolt-in shafts installed from factory I believe.)

People are doing the subaru r180 swaps as well .. I never paid a lot of attention to it , but really like the idea.

I know I'm missing a whole shit-load of information... sorry bout that.

NOW... if you're going for weight or reduction in weight ..... R180 takes the prize obviously.

If you're just going to drive the car .. won't matter much.

I do however notice a change in the car with even 80lbs difference.

You decision :)

One thing to consider is some of the r180's in the 720's have had a very good life ... not used as much .... and some not so much lol.

280zx R200's are always in use when driven. (there I go stating the obvious again derp)

*If your 240z is a 72' or later ... all you need for the R200 conversion is a Mustache Bar (the thing that attaches to the rear cover and bolts to the body vertically) YES you can use the thicker rear cross member from a 280z swapped in as well if wished not 100% needed. The 280z one is thicker metal , and has a bigger opening for the exhaust which is something to consider. (can't think of the term right meow brain is scrambled).

*Some 71's (not sure all of them , but mine sure did ! ) require a different rear (transverse) curved cross link (can't think of the actual name right meow brain is scrambled) , a mustache bar , AND driveline since it will be re-positioning the differential around 2" farther to the rear. (again R200 swap).

*NOTE: Poly bushings in the mustache bar will resonate all noise to the cabin , so you'll have to decide if you want that or not. I like good rubber where I can , but I never hesitate to use Poly's EXCEPT in the TCA's   lol ).

*NOTE: Also I don't have this problem or never have ? Some people say that half-shafts are a different length per drivers versus passengers. Some say the same. I've never had any problem with them binding , but I haven't lowered mine til their dragging. Mine are just lowered a little bit , and obviously I wouldn't shouldn't have problems. Might look at that as well if you are considering going down this path or lowness (CV's or half-shafts etc etc etc). CV-shafts is claimed that you must shorten them or the adaptor for lowered , and some regular z's ? You'll have to read about it. The stuff has scrambled my brain. It may be fine. I really don't know lol. darrel or 72240z would likely know though !!

*NOTE: Mustache bar nuts are the same thread/pitch as your lug-nuts .... that's right .... I used (2) lug nuts to hold mine in while waiting for real nuts ...... you of all people should appreciate the shit out of this !!!! lol

Not making a sale on this thread (lol) , but I have a 3.54 R180 out of a 280zx if you're interested just shoot me a pm yo.

I imagine the shipping will slaughter ALL though.... yo.........

All of that being said .... I have a TRUE respect for Triple webbers , a good 4spd , and a good 3.36

Once you run the triples a little rich .... well ... quite a bit ......thing is pretty dang quick/fun ... with 195/70/14 tires to ...

:D

I like em all though.

Here's a hybridz link to cool stuff === http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

I'm a bit tired off tonight , so I might have screwed up somewhere or missed quite a few points if not valuable info.

Granted that's how I act if I'm fully rested as well ..... :lol: :lol:

Enjoy duder !!!

Don't know what vintage your 240Z is, but the early ones had a service note to disassemble the rear shafts, carefully remove the balls from the splines in the shaft and clean and regrease them, reinstall as part of periodic maintenance.  If this hasn't been done [and most 240Z owners are not aware of this note] I can look up the maintenance interval if all the above suggestions don't cure your whine.  Beats the s##t out of me just where you could get replacement spline ball bearings at this late date.  I really think that Pachinko balls would not work!  I have used Pachinko balls to fix rotating assemblies in living room casual chairs, but that's a different game.

You have to be creative in maintaining our older gems!

Torque wrench

Dial indicator

Machinist bluing

Factory Service Manual

i swapped in an LSD into my R160 having zero experience.

went smoothly.

then i blew out a ujoint and almost ripped the rear end out, so i took it into a shop to inspect.

undamaged but input clearance was out of tolerance, easily corrected.

it wasn't a difficult job.