5 speed in 510

Eriks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If by "shifter handle" you mean the actual shift lever (the metal part, not the knob) then no, the 4-speed shifter is different than all but rare early 5-speeds.  You'd need the shift lever that matches the transmission.

"Desirable" is a matter of opinion and depends on what you want the trans to do.  The S10 200SX (through '79) 63-series "dogleg" 5-speed is the only one that's the same length (in stock form) that won't require moving the shift lever back (and making the floor opening bigger, shortening the driveshaft, etc) but it's a weaker trans (about the same strength as the stock 4-speed).  No matter what, a custom transmission mount must be made, as no 5-speeds are a straight bolt in to a 510.

The 71-series 5-speeds are stronger, but longer.  There was a short-tail 71B trans, but it won't have the right front case.  You'd have to do some parts mixing to make a short-tail L-series 71B trans.

You need this one.

20140508_214439_zpsf7af8d27.jpg

20140508_214636_zps4a754083.jpg

Has a funny shift pattern but it worked really good.  I think I still have the crossmember for it.  It did have wood blocks for spacers were it mounted to the body though.  I never had any issues with it loosening.  This one came out of my '71 510 4 door.  Don't know how I could get it to you though as you are in Norway.