Hi I'm new here

Hey Everyone! I'm new to Datsuns and new to the site so I was wondering if there are and special quirks to Datsuns in general. I've just got the 78 280Z I bought a few weeks ago running (needed new injectors do to bad gas) and I noticed none of the gauges work properly (all register lower than they should). I understand that I shouldn't expect everything to work perfectly on a car that's sat for over 2 years and has just been restarted but I was wondering if It might be something that will fix itself with a bit of driving?  

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to Ratsun 

on Ratsun pics are a must 

I am in the sacramento area and have many many z parts if you find you need something let me know 

welcome to the world of Datsuns 

• Like 1

....and varnish/gunk on the fuel and oil pressure gauges

The gauges are electrical and seldom fail. Two failures is very unlikely. The temp and fuel gauges are both powered by a small voltage regulator located in the temp gauge. It supplies a steady 8 volts and is unaffected by a high charging rate or low battery voltage when idling with headlights, fan and wipers on.

I suppose you could just replace the temp gauge or remove and gently clean the contacts with fine sand paper...

620instvoltreg.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks man :) not bad for $750. But I have just discovered a new problem that I'm hoping this forum would be kind enough to help me with. Today I took it out for the first time at road speeds and to my surprise the engine felt like it was producing about 10 horsepower and smoke stared filtering up from the hole where the parking break handle mounts. I nursed the car back to my garage and inspected the difficulty to find that the smoke wasn't coming from the engine or exhaust but appeared to be wafting up from the transmission bell housing. The guy I bought it from said it had been sitting about 2 years and it has roughly 80,000 miles on it. Could the transmission fluid have solidified in that time?? P.S. It's an Automatic

So I pulled the converter and took it for a run only to find A) No change in performance and B) the engine sounds absolutely epic straight piped. So after a bit of a puzzlement I stated to recheck everything again and to my great surprise when I pulled the cap off the distributor and peered down inside its workings I found what appeared to be a silver BB from an air rifle. Turns out it was part of the distributors vacuum advance plate setup which was completely wrecked. The Distributor is only working enough to keep it idling but not actually running when given some throttle. So I'm now in the market for a new Distributor 

20140530_153551.jpg

20140530_153623.jpg