Are there Aftermarket 620 Grills?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is confusing.  I have a what appears to be a new OE 620 grill and now I have no idea if it is NOS (new old stock) or aftermarket reproduction.

How do I tell the difference.

EDIT:  I just found a GRILLE for $7.80 here:  http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/crash/products/DT90_1020-501714-9067.html

Seriously?

A grille for $7.80 (on sale, retail price $15.59) ?????

Does Nissan stamp a part number on a genuine OE grill?  How do I tell if I have NOS or reproduction?

New Old Stock aka... New Obsolete Stock is a part that is usually, or best if, in original Nissan packaging with part number that was produced by or for Nissan with Nissan quality control and oversight, has never been sold, used or installed by a Nissan dealer. This would make it quite old. As you can see this rules out 99.99% of the shit on E-Bay. Some items are re-pops, knock offs, pulled from wrecking yards or simply counterfeit crap from Thailand or China. A New Old Stock item should be in pristine condition as it has never been mounted or used. The term NOS is so misused that it is almost meaningless today and is right up there with JDM and Sale.

It's possible for the factory that originally produced the item for Nissan might have some laying around, but very unlikely. They could also have the plastic injection molds and make some parts or sell the molds to Taiwan to make them. Obviously the original factory producer would be close to Original Equipment Manufacturer but it and Taiwan would not be making them with any oversight or quality control from Nissan. Neither would strictly be NOS.

I've collected Studebakers somce 1970 and the difference between NOS and reproduction (I hate the slang "re-pop" - its too "hip") is massive when it comes to the value of the part.

This grille is I have is clearly unused and never been on a truck. It appears to be of high quality - no flash or any kind of casting defects, however there are no cast codes or part numbers that I can find. In fact, I have 2 other grilles that are definitely used and also the one that was on the truck. They are a different style but I am sure at least one of them will be genuine. I'm going to inspect them and see if there are tell tale symbols in the casting. (I have (2) 240z tail light assemblies that I am pretty sure are genuine and they are loaded with cast in symbols.

This truck had 2000 Ohio plates on it so it has been out of service for a long time. And it looks like at least 2 previous owners were working on it replacing parts.

EDIT:

I've looked at all 4 grilles: (3) same as the 74, (1) new probably a 77 - 79.

(2) of the 74 have "melted" as cast distortions on the back side that the remaining grill does not.
This remaining grille also has tiny rib nubs on the OD outboard surface of the outboard headlight holes. It also has either a stamped or as cast (3) character code.

There is nothing that obviously suggests one is genuine as opposed to repro.

The quality of the new grille is superior or equal to anything I could see on the 74's.

I'm sure someone who has actually seen a genuine grille could identify it from the repros - its all about having examples to compare.

Of course this doesn't leave me anywhere as far as identifying my new grille.

If I get a chance, I'll post some pics. The "remaining" 74 had a 4 digit white ink stamp on it. I think it was one of the distorted ones. The other distorted one did not have this ink stamp.