Help identifying a Transmission.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an FS5W71B for an L series engine, made before '80 and most likely from a 620 truck. It's exactly 31.5" long (80mm) The shift pattern is...

2..4..R

Place shifter in upper left and turn input spline. The output will turn the same direction. Reverse is lower right below 5th.

It's possibly from a 280z or first year 280zx but I'm guessing not. If you place in first gear (upper left) and carefully turn 10 tomes while carefully counting the output spline turns at the back of the transmission you can perhaps tell what transmission it isn't.

10 input = 3.0 output is a '77-'78 620, possibly a '77-'78 280z or '79 280zx.

10 input = 2.75 output is a '79 620 5 speed

It looks like this is not the trans that I thought it was.  Reverse is right and down.  It will shift into the 5th gear position but there is no connection between the input and output shafts.  I will open it and take a look to what it actually is.  The other transmissions are hopefully still out at a friends and didn't get scrapped. 

It's a 5 speed FS5W71B. Much much stronger than the earlier dogleg and was built for the 6 cylinder Zcar

Turn the input while trying to place in 5th gear. If there is no connection then the mainshaft nut may have come loose and backed off. This will allow the 5th and reverse assy to move back also. It was a problem with the earlier 5 speed. Later ones had the nut tightened and staked in place. Won't hurt to remove the tail and take a look. Might be an easy fix too.

I found my 5 speed.  It was out in a friend's barn still.  this one measures 26¼ inches long.  Oh, the reason I couldn't find the shifter is because I had left it in the transmission.

20140508_214439_zpsf7af8d27.jpg

20140508_214534_zpseb8effe4.jpg

20140508_214636_zps4a754083.jpg

The first transmission I will pull apart  and see if it is a 4 speed or 5 speed.  I did have a 720 that was a diesel that had a cracked head.  I replaced the motor with an L20B, to use the diesel 5 speed that was in it, I pulled the front housing off of a 4 speed and swapped them.  Worked fine.  The first transmission is possibly that 4 speed with the diesel front case.  I will try and match it up to my L20B block.

20140502_145208_zpsee834637.jpg

This is an FS5W71B (5 speed) made before '80 and fits an L series 4 or 6 cylinder. It is not from a diesel as they were available on late '80 and the starter is on the driver's side. You don't need to take it apart to tell if a 4 speed or not, you can tell from the outside. .

Yeah but I do need to take it apart to see why it does not shift into 5th.  If that is not the diesel front case then maybe it got scrapped as I can find no other transmissions for datsuns.  This transmission maybe the one out of the 79 620 that I had. 

Turn the input while trying to place in 5th gear. If there is no connection then the mainshaft nut may have come loose and backed off. This will allow the 5th and reverse assy to move back also. It was a problem with the earlier 5 speed. Later ones had the nut tightened and staked in place. Won't hurt to remove the tail and take a look. Might be an easy fix too.

The gears may just need to be jostled slightly when shifting.

oic

20140512_180953_zpsfbb7d178.jpg

Main nut had been staked, twice already, now it is jacked up.  The 5th gear and the syncro won't mesh now because it rubbed so much.  I will try and lightly file the ends to see if that will clean it enough to slip together.  The nut has to be replaced.  All of the rest of the bearings and gears look great.  Housing inside looks really clean.

Still have no idea what happened to the other 4 speed that I changed bell housings on.

So what is this worth with new seals and all of that?