521 radiator swap

airedout

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go to a wrecking yard and pick something. Take measurements of your rad (write it down) and then measure the truck to find the maximum width and height.

Maybe a Sentra or KA powered Nissan would work. :)

I've heard of using VW radiators too.

Just go to a wrecking yard and pick something. Take measurements of your rad (write it down) and then measure the truck to find the maximum width and height.

Maybe a Sentra or KA powered Nissan would work. :)

I've heard of using VW radiators too.

We dont have yards here like you do out west. All our yards are private insuance yards, or used part yards that will not anyone in the back for insurance reasons. Id also really like a new part too.

Summit Racing sells generic aluminum radiators. They are listed as Griffen circle track radiators. You'll need to custom mount them but you can order them by size and location of the water outlets. It will require custom mounting. A guy in Arizona installed one of those in his 521.

They aren't bad priced either. $180-200 new

Yeah, ive been looking at those. I got a new 620 radiator coming right now, im gonna look at it, i know ill have to change the lower hose outlet to a 90, but i think i can make it work. If it doesnt, then ill just have to take some good measurments and fab something up.

First gen '77-'79 200sx had L20B motors too. The top and lower hose would be in the right place. The 620s should be a very close match, just use the 620 lower hose. The '80 only 720 would work too.

The 521 and 510 radiator are the same. The hardest part to remember is the lower hose is very near the alternator. You could use the same one slodat has or alot of 510's use, don't forget about the lower hose and you will be fine. I would go with a racing type, then if the lower outlet is aimed at the alt. you could just modify it. I want to hear what you end up using.

First gen '77-'79 200sx had L20B motors too. The top and lower hose would be in the right place. The 620s should be a very close match, just use the 620 lower hose. The '80 only 720 would work too.

yeah the lower hose is the problem on the 620 one. The outlet on the rad is straight and the 521 is 45 degrees I tried the 620 one on my 521's with no luck :(

I used to have a 521 but don't remember the bend. One things for sure, that bend would sure be a help on my 620. Over the years I've had the hose kiss the alt. and leak. Maybe if I get an elbow from the j/y and solder in? Or just wait for my Z24.

I had a small strap around the middle of the lower hose to very gently hold it away from the alternator blades. Even if the engine twisted the hose would not bend closer. that worked perfect.

I did have one hose get broken by the alternator prior to doing that. (620)

I used to have a 521 but don't remember the bend. One things for sure, that bend would sure be a help on my 620. Over the years I've had the hose kiss the alt. and leak. Maybe if I get an elbow from the j/y and solder in? Or just wait for my Z24.

I had a small strap around the middle of the lower hose to very gently hold it away from the alternator blades. Even if the engine twisted the hose would not bend closer. that worked perfect.

I did have one hose get broken by the alternator prior to doing that. (620)

I wish they would of left the factory bend in the radiators like the 521 then the 521 guys could of stole them instead of going through tons of rads.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 620 radiator worked great. I only had to make a few tabs to mount the radiator, very easy. I couldnt reuse the fan shroud though, but not biggie, im planning on going to an electric fan in the near future anyways. If i remember, ill try and snap some pics soon.

The 620 radiator i got already has a 90 on the bottom of it, it actually came no where near the alternator.

what year did you choose?

i went through two and both had the outlet pointed at the alt.

went for a re-core since it was cheaper than 'fixin' the new one.