carb trouble

eighty_six_720

messed up the set screw for the fuel line..now it is leaking fuel..cant find a replacement..help?!

Set screw implies adjustment. Do you mean the banjo bolt holding the fuel inlet fitting to the top of the carburetor?

In any case you'll find a replacement at a junkyard on a similar carburetor.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..the problem..going down the road at any speed give it gas ..say to pass..stutters bad..what I have tried..new fuel pump and filter..adjusted float..just above the dot in window on carb..reuilt the carb..whats the next thing i should do?..could it be a timing problem..it does idle a bit strange..sits around 1000 and then creeps up to 2k sometimes it goes from 100-1500 and back down..back up back down..at a stop light..it will idle high until I put it neutral and take my foot off clutch then it idles down..any help would be great

(my initial thoughts, which don't take the clutch thing into account): stutters when you get on the throttle, and idles at 1000 and up to 2000?  Sounds a lot like a vacuum leak.  My truck had the wandering idle when I had a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft bore.

That said, you say that the idle drops to normal when you put it in neutral and take your foot off the clutch?  That seems highly unlikely.  For this to happen, the things that come to mind are:

(1) is your clutch not disengaging all the way?  But that shouldn't cause you to idle high, since the Z24 doesn't have any kind of idle RPM feedback mechanism

(2) Maybe something's up with your ECU?  I do know that the ECU has a sensor to detect when the transmission is in neutral.

Can you pay more attention to exactly what happens exactly when?  If you put it in Neutral but leave the clutch in, does anything change?  Does something change when you let out the clutch?  What about if you push the clutch pedal back in?

Counterclockwise will make it have no effect. If you adjust it properly it says you need an rpm meter and a hygrometer.

I'm saying the BCDD is triggered too easily and has trouble shutting off. If set too sensitive it has trouble shutting off at idle. By turning counterclockwise you raise the threshold of where it is turned on and off.

Why take it to a shop? The BCDD valve controls the idle speed. Just turn it down, then you can test the stumble.

The BCDD should come on, on deceleration only but turn off at idle or just before.

the terminals the are on the tack? or the battery? sounds dumb to ask if you mean the battery they are new ..and back to the same old question why do i have a stutter when giving it more gas as in to pass if it was just a little one i wouldnt even worry about it..but its not  just got everything else feeling right sounds good idles normal but when going up a hill or try yto give it gas to pass its stutters til i lift my foot a little

so I tried to get to the contacts by pulling the gauge cluster out forgot to unhook the speedO ..didn't want to come out that way so i put it back together..now the speedO is zero to 105 in ten feet.."gotta be a new record" and a new record for the stupidest thing to do after a 13 hr day and sun burnt to a crisp ta'boot any ideas what i did ? i thought i reconnected the speedO cable right but the needle jumps when i push on the cluster..oh and the contacts to the tack looked clean so thats not why its not working any other ideas ?

Sounds like the speedometer fitting got bent. I'd replace it with a good used speedometer.

The terminals may look clean. A very thin layer of corrosion will cause jumpiness. Scrape each one with a screwdriver or use contact cleaner. Do this everywhere in the circuit, on each wire and connector, as well as the tachometer itself. I've fixed many tachometers this way.

ok I am back..so the stutter is gone..i got sick of trying to source the problem..so i capped all the vac lines off.. truck runs tons better ..i have noticed it seems retarded and doesn't have any power to speak of..but going down the road lots better now...but climbing a hill forget it... gotta shift  down to 1st and maybe get 10-15 mph if im lucky. not a huge hill kinda steepish but not extreme ..any advice?

Do you have a timing light? If so, disconnect vac line to distributer after the engine is warm, attach light. Start your truck and point the light at the pulley on the crankshaft, near the timing marks. You will see where it is timed now. Loosen the distributer and turn slightly until the mark on the crank pulley matches the 3 degree mark on your setting marks. A bit of white paint on the notch on the pulley makes this easier.
If you do not have a timing light, get one. You will not regret it.

• Like 1