carb trouble

eighty_six_720

So I've been having what I'm fairly certain is some carburetor woes over the past few months and I was hoping you guys could shed a little light on the situation. It'll start up and idle just fine and even when I rev it up everything sounds fine but when I'm driving its very sluggish and starts popping and backfiring when it hits around 3000 rpm, sounding like It's starved of fuel, however after driving for maybe a half hour or so itll run fine until I stop and then Itll act up again. I took the carb off and installed a rebuild kit and removed a fair amount of silt from the bowl and when I took it for a test drive it ran better than it ever had for a little while but as soon as I stopped at a red light and took off again It was back to its old ways. I've been searching around the internet and havent really found much so any help would  be appreciated. thanks.

Here's the truck as it sits today

photo_zps5cf6b148.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the choke is taking too long to open up, then it will definitely affect the way your truck runs until it has a chance to fully open. I readjust mine when it gets warmer in the spring/summer, then again in the fall/winter when it gets colder. The best way to do it is first thing in the morning(when the engine is cold), go out  press the accelerator pedal down once or twice. That will set the choke. Now make the adjustment to where the choke plate just barely closes off the throat of the carb. Tighten the adjustment cover back up and you're set.

The timing is 3 degrees before TDC. The Z24 is very forgiving of too much timing but it will run poorly.

With eight spark plugs it's very easy to mix up two wires so check and be sure they are going to the correct plugs.

At some point pull both coil wires off and hold near a ground and crank the motor over. They should both spark. If one is not firing, replace the first fuse on the far left of the fuse box. Replace it, don't trust looking at it. The timing is set for both coils working. If one quits it will act severely retarded.

Z24s need the head bolts re torqued at least once a year to prevent the head gasket blowing at around 100K miles. Do this in the morning when the motor is dead cold. Do only one bolt at a time. Loosen fully and immediately torque to 60 ft. Lbs. Now do the next one. Do in any order you like but only one at a time.

Check and set the valve lash with the motor hot. 0.013" on both intake and exhaust. A tight valve can cause backfiring.

Inspect the stainless steel tube running from the back of the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve on the back of the intake manifold behind the carb. Is it full of holes and corroded? It has to be air tight or oxygenated outside air will get into the intake and the mixture will be run lean..

I'll check out the choke tomorrow as well as the EGR which sounds like it could definitely be the problem. I've definitely got some electrical/timing issues but because this seems like its an on/off problem so I'm not sure thats whats causing this piece of the problem. But then again I'm no expert so just tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks for all the responses!

it certainly does sound like that EGR could be the issue so thats the first thing I'll check. Though strange part is that it randomly decides that it wants to work it doesnt seem to matter if its hot or cold. And when this problem is happening its a major issue like 40 mph top speed sometimes 30 if I'm going up even a slight grade, So Its not been freeway worthy in a while. I was told by some people it could be the secondary not opening in the carb but those were just guesses. 

Fuel may be ok as it runs fine when cold. This is when the choke is on and fuel is used at a higher rate than when warmed up. The primary jet could still be part plugged (again) and the choke being on could mask this until warmed up.

• 5 weeks later...

hello everyone, just bought my first 720 4x4 '85..haveing similar issues..reuilt the carb ran better..sitting can rev up sounds great..going down the road is another story..have to easy the throttle..can give it to much or it stutters..today it acted like it ran out of gas..after i walked a mile to get a gas can and gas and out it in ..it ran again ..not a mechanic but am able to work on a car ..i rebuilt the carb no problem..any help would be awesom..oh..checked the oil and the fuel pump..the oil was a little low but didnt think that would couse it to act like it ran out of gas..

Fuel filter may have done it's job and is plugged. They are cheap so just replace. The filter is between the tank and the pump, which is mounted on the outside of the frame just forward of the right rear tire. You are using gas faster that what can get through the plugged filter.

Float set to low and not allowing enough gas in for driving. Next time it stutters, as quick as possible shut the ignition off to kill the electric pump and pull over safely. Look at the small round glass bull's eye on the front of the carb. Fuel level should be at the dot in the middle. If not, and the fuel filter has been checked or replaced, the float will need adjusting. You are using gas faster than it can get into the carb.

ok..swaped out the filter..think i adjusted the float ..right? ..but still has a little stutter when giving it more peddle at speed..kinda like im in a higher gear at slow speed and you give it to much gas..any other ideas or maybe tell me which way i need to adjust the float..i couldnt see any gas in the window so maybe i went the wrong way??

hey Mike, just throwing this out there on re-tourqing the head bolts but isnt it likely that by doing that it will disturb the head or head gasket and make it more prone to blowing it?

The gasket compresses over the life of 100k of heat/cool cycles. The aluminum head expands twice as much as the cast iron block so the gasket is also subjected to a shearing action too. Effectively the clamping force lessons as the gasket deteriorates. The re-torque is advised in the Nissan FSM as a prevention to premature gasket failure be keeping the head firmly clamped. It applies to the Z24 motor.