transmission help

droc71

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 speed from any '81 and up 720 with a Z series motor will fit and work on your Z24. The only problem is maybe the length. Z24 5 speeds were either 31.5" or 26". Your 521's 4 speed is about 26" so you may get away without shortening the driveshaft. But you will need to modify the trans mount. A shortened driveshaft is a small price for this much stronger transmission.

The '80'82 A10 (HL510) is also a Z series (dogleg) 5 speed that will practically drop into the 521 and be the correct length, but it's strong enough for only 2 liters. You can run it but I would get or find a 720 5 speed, even if longer, because a Z24 has too much torque for it.

this was a verbal from my dad when he tried to install the z24 w/720 tran, he said that the shifter was way off to the side where you wouldnt be able to shift it. he said the way the engine was canted in there it threw the shifter way over.

If it was way over to the passenger side then you have an '79 (or earlier) L series dogleg 5 speed transmission. The A10 ((510) changed from L to Z series in '80. You need a Z series transmission. It has the same bolt pattern but is 'clocked' to the left or driver's side.

'81-'86.5 720 with gas motor works. (comes in two lengths) Also '80-'83 200sx. (only in long)

The D-21 Hardbody transmissions will also bolt up from the Z24i, KA24E and KA24DE motors. These will all be longer than the stock 521 4 speed.

• Like 1

The Z trans will work.  Take your 521 trans mount bracket and take about 2 Inches out of it.  Measure to get it write.

TransMountMod.jpg

Get a 720 standard cab 1 piece driveline and cut it to fit.

figure5.jpg

Relocate the trans tunnel cover plate hole.

IMG_0558_zps6d9c3311.jpg

This solves the carrier bearing problem and gives you the 5 speed.  This also works for L series motors and  automatics.  I have done this with Z motors and trans and L motors and trans. You will need a longer speedometer cable.

IMG_0553_zps202a664c.jpg

• Like 2

thanks guys! i will have to check this out.  i knew that i would have to relocate the hole but my dad was adamant about the shifter off to one side. he said it was a 720 trans datzenmike. i will check this out myself. once again thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The 80 g10 trans will not work with the Z motor.  get a Truck trans like Datzenmike said.  1981 to 1986 trans and shorten a 1980 to 1986 standard cab 1 piece driveline  and you will have a great setup.  Truck trans are stronger.

I missed the 510 trans part, sorry for any confusion.

My 710 has a short 4 speed, almost identical to the 521/510 with the speedometer cable on the rear driver's side. I installed a long tail 71B 5 speed with the cable on the other side and slightly further back. I kept and used the stock short cable by un-clipping it from all the body mounts and feeding it down the back of the motor, over the top of the transmission and diagonally over to the passenger side. Fits and works perfectly. If not on your application any 620 4 or 5 speed cable '74 and up will be plenty long enough. A 710, A10 and S10 automatic cable will also fit.