transmission for z24

droc71

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will the transmission out of a d21 fit like the trans out of a 720?

im building a z24 motor for my 521 and I know that an early 80 model 510 trans will fit but im not fond of reverse where first should be!!

Yes if the D-21 transmission is bolted to a Z24i or a KA motor and NOT the VG. They have the same mounting bolt pattern. An S13 or S14 KA transmission will also work from a 240sx. Your only problem will be modifying the tranny mount at the back and shortening the drive shaft.

Yes if the D-21 transmission is bolted to a Z24i or a KA motor and NOT the VG. They have the same mounting bolt pattern. An S13 or S14 KA transmission will also work from a 240sx. Your only problem will be modifying the tranny mount at the back and shortening the drive shaft.

The way the starter mounts is different on the 240sx. 720/D21 starter bolts thread into the trans bellhousing and 240sx starter bolts thread into the starter. Also the 240sx starter have a longer snout because the engine block has extra material where the starter sits.

Yep, the S13 KA blocks/starters are different by design

KA24Eblock003Large.jpg

But the transmissions are the same bolt pattern and will bolt up to other KAs or Z series motors. This is my '89 block but I didn't remove the starter so I'll check for threads in it. Either way, a Z series starter will mount with nuts and bolts. The 240sx 5 speeds are all much longer than the D-21s.