200 vs 225 flywheel

CorAce

I know the flywheel thing has been beat to death but I could not fined anything in the search that answered my question. For starters I'm working with a 200sx drive train in my 510 L20B, W58, Dogleg trans. I have both a 200mm (on it) and 225mm flywheel is there any pros or cons to ether? Keep in mined I will be having which ever one I use lightened so the weight thing shouldn't matter. I would think that the larger contact area of the 225mm would be better for hotrodding.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 200mm Roadster is about 650 Kg or over 1,400 pounds of clamping force.

The 225mm PPs are mostly around 550Kg or just over 1,200 pounds of clamp. 

I would guess that the larger surface spreads the wear and heat so would last longer. Beware 'performance clutches' unless they can tell you what the clamping force is it's likely a generic pressure plate that fits several makes and models. Some have small weights on the diaphragm fingers that add centrifugal force from high revs. I find this lame. Nissan did have a 225mm Sports Option for the Maxima with 780Kg or 1,700 pounds. Unfortunately NLA.

Flywheels are either solid and about 29 pounds or the engine side is scalloped and about 21 pounds. The heavier ones tend to be on trucks. Heavier cars like a zx or Maxima tend to use lighter flywheels because they are 6 cylinder and there is a heavier crankshaft spinning. I have one of each in 225mm and 240mm.

The 200mm Roadster is about 650 Kg or over 1,400 pounds of clamping force.

The 225mm PPs are mostly around 550Kg or just over 1,200 pounds of clamp. 

Some after market clutch apps are now rated at/for engine torque

My Exedy is good for 300ish ft lbs....not sure how that equates to clamping force numbers

exedyclutch.jpg

Friction is a function of surface area and force . So you seem to be on the right track weighing the 200mm with high clamp, vs. 225 with lighter clamp. They have opposite strengths. The 200 with performance clutch will give you less rotational inertia if in fact there is more overall mass on the 225. But the 225 with less clamp will let the clutch slip instead of your tires. I'd expect this would work your engine less over time. As well,the heavy clamp pressure will be a pain in your ass in traffic.

Race car status 200mm w/ 140

Street car status 225mm w/ 120

Friction is a function of surface area and force . So you seem to be on the right track weighing the 200mm with high clamp, vs. 225 with lighter clamp. They have opposite strengths. The 200 with performance clutch will give you less rotational inertia if in fact there is more overall mass on the 225. But the 225 with less clamp will let the clutch slip instead of your tires. I'd expect this would work your engine less over time. As well,the heavy clamp pressure will be a pain in your ass in traffic.

Race car status 200mm w/ 140

Street car status 225mm w/ 120

Thanks for your input, That's kinda what I was looking for but I'm not sure I agree with you completely. Let just say for argument sake I want to do a bunch of big smokey burnouts. I have a 200mm, 225mm & 240mm fly wheel, they all have the same clamping force clutch assembly and have been machined to the same over all weight. Wouldn't the larger contact area and moving to the outer edges of the flywheel give you more friction coefficient not to mention the added centrifugal of the larger diameter PP moving mass out from the center, kinda like using a 12" long ratchet vs a 3" long one? Or am I looking at this whole thing backwards?

want to do a bunch of big smokey burnouts.

put on bald tires, done!!!!!!!!!!!!

To put all these cluthes in there you better have the correct T/O bearing and esp the T/O collar as they can be different sizes otherwise you have issuess that you be dealing with cause you want to do burnouts.

If nothing wrong with your set up now dont worry about it. It will save you money and heart ache.

Burnouts only, I would buy a 240mm flywheels a HEAVY ONE!!!!! So heavy that it might suck up 25% of the motor HP

just to confuse you more. even dough a 200sx with 200mm flywheel it still has a different T/O collar than a 510 with a 200mm. the 510 and roadster p/p are the same diaphrame height thus use the same T/O bearing and the collar.

the Exedy 225mm stage 1 they list for a 620 truck has more clamping than a roadster. It will come with the bigger T/O bearing but not the collar as it assume you have the collar already. Also the later trans have the non adjustable rod in the slave cylinder(and fork arm w dimple) so if the collar is wrong the arm might not be engaged correctly or already engaged. This is why I like the old 510 521 threaded rod on the slave and use the 510/521 clutch fork with the hole in it