No fire... Can't figure it out... HELP?!?!

qwk_snd

Car: 1971 Datsun 510
Engine: L16

So, my car blew a head gasket last year and I'm just now getting around to fixing it.  I put everything back together just as it came apart (I think)...  I can't get it to fire for anything.  It cranks and cranks and cranks but doesn't even act like it wants to fire. I was just out in the garage playing with it trying to get it started and decided to pull the valve cover to check cam timing once again.  I made sure it was at TDC when I first pulled the valve cover and it appeared that the timing was right...  The notch in the gear met up perfect with the little dash, and the dowel pin was in the #1 hole...  so I decided to hand crank the crankshaft 360 degrees and when I did that the cam was then about 180 from where it should be.....  am I just having a total retard moment here, or could my cam be 180 out???  I left the cam on the head when I had it machined, so it's possible that the machine shop turned the cam and it ended up 180 from where it was when I took it in...  but would it even be able to crank if the cam was 180 out or would I be smashing valves?!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The crank sprocket has 20 teeth and the cam sprocket has 40. You probably noticed this when you had it apart. This means the crank turns twice for every turn of the cam. Totally normal.

Set TDC #1 compression. Look at the rotor and see if it is under or very near the #1 plug wire on the cap. The firing order is counter clockwise from #1 and then 3 4 2. If under another wire, place the #1 wire there and then move the others to 3 4 2. and it should start.

If the rotor is way off, the drive spindle was likely put back in wrong. Remove the two bolts at the base of the dizzy pedestal and lift it out. At TDC the drive spindle should look like this...

Note there is a small and large side half moon

motordistributortiming.jpg

To reset the spindle you will have to drop the oil pump out, remove the drive spindle and put back up in to get it positioned just like the picture. Install the oil pump. Slip the dizzy back in and tighten the mount bolts. The rotor should now point to the correct #1 wire on the cap. Be ready for oil dripping. Keep oil pump vertical so it does not empty and fill with motor oil before installing.

It should be close enough to sputter and still needs a final adjustment to get it to 12 BTDC.

The crank sprocket has 20 teeth and the cam sprocket has 40. You probably noticed this when you had it apart. This means the crank turns twice for every turn of the cam. Totally normal.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.  lol  Just needed someone to reassure me.  So, any ideas on why I'm not getting any fire?

I dranied the tank and put in fresh gas...  I've checked the plug wires 175 times now and tried a number of different combinations...  I've played with adjusting the timing on the dizzy...  I know there is fuel getting to my carbs... 

Last night after reading everyones input I pulled my cap off and it looks like the rotor is not exactly lined up with #1...  so I pulled the dizzy off to check spindle alignment and see this.....

20140216_193045_zpsykkqeai0.jpg

HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN?!?!?!  Anyone got a front cover they want to part with?  FML.....

If its lined up it should still run even with that front cover broken. Maybe RTV it up and let it set.

its in the vid on the spindal alighnment/timming and other post here.

you never said if the center coil wire sparks?

if your valave lash is loose the motor wont fire off even if you have spark.

heat up soem JB weld and put the pc that broke off back on there.and put on outside of the crack and set it set up for a few days Its will work .Clean area really good.

ps it does look off unless the crank is not at zero

If its lined up it should still run even with that front cover broken. Maybe RTV it up and let it set.

its in the vid on the spindal alighnment/timming and other post here.

you never said if the center coil wire sparks?

if your valave lash is loose the motor wont fire off even if you have spark.

heat up soem JB weld and put the pc that broke off back on there.and put on outside of the crack and set it set up for a few days Its will work .Clean area really good.

ps it does look off unless the crank is not at zero

Thank god...  I was planning on replacing the whole front cover...  I'll definitely try JB Weld before I do that...  Thanks! 

I haven't checked my center coil wire yet...  didn't have a second set of hands last night.  I'll have the wifey help me out tonight and check that.

Yeah, I think the spindle may be off a bit...  It looks like it's closer to 10:25 than it does 11:25