Mystery knocking...

metalmonkey47

Just out of curiosity, what was the percentage of leak down you had?

20% is what the tester read, but it sounded like a LOT more. 

yeah, what happened with that leakdown test?

and im just gonna say it right now... KA24 swap when the L takes a dump. SRs are for rich kids... lol

SR would be a good cheapie. Black top is VVT too. I'd get it for less then what I spent on the LZ honestly. 

Hey, can't see the keyway with the timing cover. Don't remember myself, but if I spin the motor over can I see it from beneath? I don't recall off the top of my head how it looks down there.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot I had a video. Gonna need to pull the front cover. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20% is what the tester read, but it sounded like a LOT more. 

SR would be a good cheapie. Black top is VVT too. I'd get it for less then what I spent on the LZ honestly. 

Hey, can't see the keyway with the timing cover. Don't remember myself, but if I spin the motor over can I see it from beneath? I don't recall off the top of my head how it looks down there.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot I had a video. Gonna need to pull the front cover. 

Well, yeah, 20% is quite a bit, even if the engine was cold. Opinions vary on an acceptable percent. For some guys, anything near 10% and they will yank it apart. Contrary to what many believe, a race engine (many of them) will have an astonishing amount of blowby and still run super strong. In example, my Jeep runs 100 yards in 2.95 to 2.97 seconds at over 100 mph, IN THE SAND. Its leak down at this point is way past what a guy with a street driven engine would want to rebuild it at. But, at 9000 rpm and a bunch of boost, I am actually running a little faster than I was when it was new and had 3%. I say flog it for a while and check it again when hot, I bet it comes up.

Anyone have thrust specs on the crank? It's got a good bit of walk front to back (didn't see it for myself, but my buddy working on it mentioned he noticed it when we was inspecting the crank snout.)

I'm gonna drop my mig welder off in the shop tomorrow and we're gonna weld up the crank, and grind it straight. Should be finished up by tomorrow. 

Well, yeah, 20% is quite a bit, even if the engine was cold. Opinions vary on an acceptable percent. For some guys, anything near 10% and they will yank it apart. Contrary to what many believe, a race engine (many of them) will have an astonishing amount of blowby and still run super strong. In example, my Jeep runs 100 yards in 2.95 to 2.97 seconds at over 100 mph, IN THE SAND. Its leak down at this point is way past what a guy with a street driven engine would want to rebuild it at. But, at 9000 rpm and a bunch of boost, I am actually running a little faster than I was when it was new and had 3%. I say flog it for a while and check it again when hot, I bet it comes up.

Hmmm well put. I'm gonna beat it up for a little bit and see how it goes. I'll update my build thread and see how it goes in a few thousand more miles. The motor ran strong, so I don't see any reason why I'd need to tear it apart just yet. I figured if it was already most of the way apart, why not. But I don't think that will be an issue.

yeah, youll have to pull the cover... 

i guess im just biased with having the KA already.. it was so easy.. bolted in like another L-series with Redeyes mounts.

Well, we have them availible (the sr) at a good price, and the swap doesn't seem difficlt. I've been reading and researching for months and the hardest part is turbo plumbing, oil lines, etc. Bolts in for the most part, just have to cut the motor mounts on the frame free, and weld them back an inch or so. 

Do I get any credit for the knocking sound lol. As far as leakdown who built your motor, were the pistons and rings sized properly for the application. Like smoke said purpose built race engines have relatively high ring leakage when cold due to the large ring gap required for very high demand engines (turbo, nitrous, high compression ect). If yours was not built for any of the above I would ask is the bore tapered glazed scored or just plain out of spec, was it ever measured at all (not trying to be condescending I'v been there)   

Do I get any credit for the knocking sound lol. As far as leakdown who built your motor, were the pistons and rings sized properly for the application. Like smoke said purpose built race engines have relatively high ring leakage when cold due to the large ring gap required for very high demand engines (turbo, nitrous, high compression ect). If yours was not built for any of the above I would ask is the bore tapered glazed scored or just plain out of spec, was it ever measured at all (not trying to be condescending I'v been there)   

The motor was built by  a buddy, but not for stock specs. It was built to run a shit ton of boost, hence the BBC rod bolts, ARP head & main studs, etc. It's also got forged mahle pistons (something Mitsubishi) with fully floating wrist pins, and moly rings. Maybe the leak down is normal for this motor, I suppose it's something I can live with. I just hate thinking I'm running lower the normal compression. 

as of right now, i still don't even have the truck back. Kind of nerve racking. 

Was the sound at the exhaust (tail pipe) or the intake (carb) as this would mean the leak is a valve not necessarily the rings.

CYL 1 had a slight leak at the intake valve fully shut, but ever so slight... (hissing in the intake) The heads gonna come off when I get another DD and I'm gonna gut the head and lap the valves.

I use a big ring gap for turbo that seals up more as the engine heats up otherwise you will have nice broken ring lands when they get hot under boost. If you plan on running a turbo then you need to be aware of your valve face margin (the valves contact area to the seat) I like to run .5 mm on intake and .75 on exhaust on my ka e the extra on the ex is for heat disapation and helps reduce detonation.

• Like 1

Need more info on the pistons. Were they forged? Forged will run way more piston to wall clearance than hyper-eutectic ones. The aluminum expands from the heat and clearances close up. If your motor was good and hot when the compression was done then disregard this.

Awesome guys! SO my compression may be right on point then, I suppose I'll need to re-test it once I've got it running, up to temp again. 

Thanks Jacob, those are the ones. I figured it was 4G63 but I wasn't 100%. Didn't want to say for sure until I found my info I had written down.

It's these pistons to be exact: 

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Mahle/engine/pistons/PowerPak_Mitsubishi_4G63_89-92/7127

MAHLE-PowerPak-Forged-Pistons-450x347.jp