Datsun 510 auto to manual help

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of anyone using either of those pedals in a 510. I won't say it absolutely won't work, just I've never heard of it. The pedal sets I know will work are the original 510 (obviously) and 610. Beyond that, there may some that will fit, possibly with a little heating and bending of the pedal arms. The eye in the top of the arm needs to be the right inner diameter and width to fit the 510 hanger, and length of the arm may be different on other Datsuns.

When you undo the bolt through the pedal arm, keep in mind one of the bolts (I'm pretty sure the brake pedal arm) is a backward left hand thread, so don't twist it off thinking it is just a really tight bolt.

If you look back through the Ratsun archives in 510 and Drivetrain sections you should find several threads on auto-manual swaps. There are quite a few details it is good to know about before starting the swap. None of it is especially difficult, just a lot of little things to do - tranny crossmember mod, hardline for the clutch, shortening the driveshaft or not (depending on which tranny you use), jumping the neutral safety switch that was on the auto, and probably several more things I'm not remembering.

Len

KA24, cool! I daydream about a KA or VG30, but that is as far as I go with it. HRH is just starting a KA swap into his 510: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59184-the-resurrection-of-eleanor-dead-since-12-17-11/

Or maybe you are already farther along than he is.

On the pedal thing, you can always remove your auto brake pedal arm to get some measurements, then go to the wrecking yard and see what you can find that is close enough to modify to work. Both pedal arms pivot on a special shoulder bolt. Possibly the bolt for the clutch arm is the same on other Datsuns - B210 or 620 truck or something.

Len

Doing a basic search in the search bar, turns up a lot of info on swaps.  Also look at what the parts suppliers like http://www.datsport.com/ carry.  Looking at what they sell for the swap will give you a good idea about what you will need.

As far as the pedals go, the easiest thing to do is; pick up the whole pedal box from a 510 and swap them out.  You can just use a clutch pedal and brake pedal from a 510, but you will find that your auto pedal box is missing the return spring bracket for the clutch pedal.  So you will either need that too, or fab something up.  I'm pretty sure your '72 has the floor shift automatic, so nothing will need to be done with the steering column.  Down at your auto trans, there is a 4 terminal connector.  Two of the terminals are for the inhibitor switch.  You will need to jumper those.  The other two are for the back up light switch.  Those will need to be connected to the switch on the new trans....

Though, you said this car is a "shell" (rolling shell or just a shell?), so maybe you don't have the original wiring harness or the original pedal box, so you will need everything.  Honestly buying a shell and building it up is not the best idea.  You will have way more money invested in it than you would if you just bought a running driving car and swapped it, or bought a car that already had the swap done.

In the case that you go ahead an build a shell, then you have a blank canvas.  Still the easiest thing would be to pick up a 510 pedal box.  Then you will need a reverse crossmember under the engine, a transmission crossmember from experimental engineering (found on eBay) works well.  It will also be helpful to have the driveshaft from the KA, to use the front slip yoke when you have a driveshaft cut down to fit the 510.  If you have a shell, then you will need to decide what rear differential you want to run.  The stock R160 will be fine with the stock KA, but you can put in an R180 or R200, but you unnecessarily sacrifice weight gain.  Remember, the Subaru WRX uses an R160 diff, and those put out 250+ from the factory.  Now, not all that power is going to the rear, but the R160 should hold up just fine, assuming you don't constantly hammer the thing off the line.

I don't know what else you want to know, since you posts have been very vague in what your working with.

You will need used pedals. Your best bet is to post a "want to buy" ad in the classifieds.

There is a difference in location for the throttle pedal from auto box cars and manual box cars, but it's not necessary to move it.  I did not change mine, and I actually like it better.  For one, I have more room to the right of the pedal for my size 12 shoes, and for two, it's easier to to heel/toe the brake and throttle.

My friend pulled his ka swap from his 240 and giving to me for really cheap. And I'm picking the 510 up as a shell.

If your friend wrecked his 240, try to get every bit of wiring harness, connectors, relays, all that sort of thing, just in case you need any of it. If it is wrecked and he can keep the hulk until you are finished with your swap, that would be great. Then you could always go get any extra bits you need.

I didn't swap the pedal box on my 510 when I switched from the automatic. I just hooked the clutch return spring to something under the dash. Probably not ideal, but it is working.

If you are good at welding and fabricating you can probably modify some different pedals to work. I was lucky to find a set from a 510 on the way to the crusher years ago. You can probably bend your brake pedal arm over to make it work, but you will need to cut down the metal pedal pad. A Wanted here on Ratsun or your local craigslist might work. I think you need to have a minimum number of posts to sell on Ratsun, but I don't know about Wanted.

Len

I didn't swap the pedal box on my 510 when I switched from the automatic. I just hooked the clutch return spring to something under the dash. Probably not ideal, but it is working.

I didn't swap boxes either, but I did cut the return spring bracket off the spare box and welded in the same place on the box in my car.  To be honest, I drove the car without it for awhile with no issues, so don't think it's big deal on how it's done.

I concur, placing an ad here in the classifieds is a good route.  I've heard of two cars recently that were parted out.  The pedals aren't something that you have to do first, so just keep posting until you find one.

You mentioned someone said to use 280zx pedals....  I haven't heard of that either, but I suppose it could work.  The 280zx uses a pedal box like the 510, so maybe the pedals will bolt in, or bolt in with a little mod....  Maybe you should post that as a question by itself, or keep researching.

Did you buy the 510 as a shell? I think that is what I read (or gathered), if not, do you still have the auto trans? I may be interested....and it looks like we are in the same town.

just get a 510 pedal assemble and a manual gas pedal.

Why make this hard. Post a want ad

I have a extra pedal assembley my self But since you have only like 7 posts I will give to somebody else with more time on here. As most new guys wanting KA swaps thst are new to 510s never finnish ,90% of them.

Ichouse in here should have a few sets of pedals and Paulo up in Marysillve Washinging has about 15 cars in his back yard(hes going to fix every one of them)Never happen yet in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

I know it seems weird but, a couple of us are heading out to cars &coffee in Rio Rancho this Saturday...2115 Golf Course.  Its like 8:00am to 10:00am.

I have now officially jacked your thread.

I like to save money where ever i can,, this is how i did mine. Still working 3 years later

While waiting for some clutch parts to be order (( correctly )) i changed the car over from 1 pedal to a clutch / brake system. The original brake pedal arm sits far to the left so it has to be taken off and bent straighter, so i got a big ass hammer and gave it a spanking...Then after trial fitting a few times it fits better. Then i salvaged some arms out of a 620 and a 200sx , cuz thats what i have, and trial fitted them and settled with a 200sx arm. I did this before using 71 521 parts and it worked pretty good.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is what original brake arm looked like with stock bends and then after big hammer attack.

This is what arms look like now in car....Going to cut off the pad that is on there now after there is pressure is in system and the sit in the final positions and reweld them both on where they feel best to my feet.

off center shot........

Last time i used 521 hard lines and they fit almost perfect but this time i used 620 lines and obviously will have to bend my own lines after car is up and going.

• Like 2

Did you use the same pedal box? By that I mean the part where the pedals pivot.  I never would have thought of doing this, its brilliant and cheap. It also seems that if you were so inclined, you could go manual to automatic.

I'm certain he did.  The boxes are identical aside from the missing clutch pedal return spring bracket.

And 72510s2e3, maybe that's what someone meant when they told you, you could use 280zx pedals.  Perhaps they were refereeing to modifying just the pedals?  I thought I originally read that you said "280zx pedal box", but I see now, you didn't.