Opinions on this 219 head?

RTB

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been milled. How much? I dont know.

I'm trying to get a thickness from the owner but the problem is that he is in Finland so we might email 1 or 2 emails a day max. Sucks.

Trading my 4.625 LSD for this head and a straight intake manifold I can't seem to ID. So I guess price is shipping from Finland. I have no way to tell if it needs to be cut or not. And that's what worries me most. If there's a problem I'm fucked. I will have a useless head and he will have a working rare diff.

OK, what I see is that the head has been milled as mentioned, but what bothers me is that the valve seats look like they might be touching each other now, I don't know if it has bigger than stock valves, or if it has been rebuilt so many times that they are touching now, you see each time you change the seats, the hole they sit in needs to be made slightly bigger, so if they are touching now, it's a lot harder to deal with from the machinists point of veiw.

Once they get so big, I believe the head is scrap, but I don't know that for sure, maybe there is a trick I don't know about.

In the photo below, I cannot run this head till it needs new seats, I need to stay on top of it, as they are touching each other, but I have 1 3/4 inch intake valves in this head now.

DSCN0602.JPG

I didnt even think about the valve seats.

That head looks like it has some really big seats in it, I would need a photo of that cleaner #3 cylinder up close like my photo above, something that my machinist could see to give an honest opinion.

This is what my 219 head looks like, and it may be shaved also, just not as much as that head.

DSCN2097.JPG

I have never taken this 219 head in to have it checked, it could be scrap that someone sold for money(ripped me off).

There are lots of avenues to take to make a performance engine, if your boring out the block, you can buy pistons with less dish, and use a U67 head, and they are a lot cheaper than a 219 head.

• Like 1

Something not right with the seats. They all look oversized. Last chance. And the clean cylinder appears to have the intake seat staked in. Not good. I would seriously walk away. 

So that is what them punch marks are, "staked in"?

It looks like all the intakes have them marks except for maybe number four, can't tell from that photo.

So that is what them punch marks are, "staked in"?

It looks like all the intakes have them marks except for maybe number four, can't tell from that photo.

Valve seats in aluminum heads should be put in with about .005 interference. Then you heat the head to 300f and freeze the seats in nitrogen, or Co2. I put them in our big freezer in a jar of acetone. Then beat them in with a pilot and a BFH.

Seats that are staked in usually weren't installed correctly to begin with.They could be welded up and remachined, but time is money.  

Congrats on the find.