620 Still have not found anything new!

Hern88ndez

What up members! So today I bought my 620 and well I was happy, it's dope, smooth, cool etc.,etc. drove it all day today and showed it of to All my friends and it felt grate to have something special. With the motivation to drop that bitch low and throw some 15's on them hoes. Went to dinner with my girlfriend and well we left and the truck dies. It did not make any turn over noise when I turned the key. It's not the battery for sure. Member I'm new to datsuns don't know shit about it, I'm asking y'all for your help to get my 620 back an running I'm assuming that it could be a fuel pump problem but again idk. Please Advise, lay me with your knowledge. Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The relays in the engine bay can some times cause a short. also, check your grounds, on your battery for sure. if you turn the key and the lights dim, but your starter wont turn, you have a lose ground more than likely. if all else fails, smack your starter with a hammer, or you may have a dead starter....

• Like 1

. It did not make any turn over noise when I turned the key. It's not the battery for sure. Member I'm new to datsuns don't know shit about it, I'm asking y'all for your help to get my 620 back an running I'm assuming that it could be a fuel pump problem but again idk. Please Advise, lay me with your knowledge. Thanks

Honk horn.... if loud as normal battery is likely fine. If dark out put the headlight on. If bright, the battery is still charged enough to crank the motor over.

A fuel pump problem will not prevent the motor from being turned over by the starter.

If the battery is dead you may have a charging problem. Let us know what you find.

Honk horn.... if loud as normal battery is likely fine. If dark out put the headlight on. If bright, the battery is still charged enough to crank the motor over.

A fuel pump problem will not prevent the motor from being turned over by the starter.

If the battery is dead you may have a charging problem. Let us know what you find.

Thank you, I will let y'all know as soon as I try the things that y'all advised.

The relays in the engine bay can some times cause a short. also, check your grounds, on your battery for sure. if you turn the key and the lights dim, but your starter wont turn, you have a lose ground more than likely. if all else fails, smack your starter with a hammer, or you may have a dead starter....

Thank you, I will try and let you know what the issue is thank you for

Your advise. Appreciate a mill

I followed what datzenmike advised and it all worked out for me.i had the same issue today. Mike recommended to clean all ground terminals. Specially the one that bolts on to the head. Once done you should be ok. Again this worked out for me. Thanks mike.

Thanks aZetekkuztumz for the positive reinforcement, I will try that.

Alternators have an output, but relays just switch connections. I don't know of a 'main relay' although some 620s do have relays. Maybe you can be more specific about which relay.

Thanks for Correcting me, it's the ignition relay abd inhibitor relay. Well a better question would be how

Would I know if they are working?

It's on the pass side inner fender. May be under a black plastic cover. I can elaborate better when I get home from work and can get my '78 FSM out. The inhibit relay is only on the aromatics isn't it? As Steve said there is or  should be a faint click wwhen the key is turned on. This gives power to the ignition coil.

• Like 1

Sometimes relays will click and still not work.  There are contact points inside the relay just like the points on your distributor.  Those points get dirty/burnt and need a good cleaning after awhile.  Like Steve said, use the test light or voltmeter to make sure you've got power flowing through the relay. 

If you don't, it's easy to fix them:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58498-how-to-repair-your-relays/

• Like 1

You have two other posts on this same problem.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59325-main-relay/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59273-620-issue/

How about sticking with one till it's solved???

Electricity is invisible so a tester of some kind is needed to let you know if power is present or not. For $5 you can get a test lamp that has a probe and the lamp. Now you can just replace a relay but if there is no power to it or if the signal to turn it on is missing it's not going to help much is it?

Looking back at this post... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59273-620-issue/

you say the motor is not turning over. So what relay are you replacing? The starter gets power from the battery and a start signal from the ignition switch. There is no relay involved in this.

Get a test lamp and clip one end on a ground source and touch the other to the small Black/Yellow wire on the starter solenoid. Have someone turn the key to START.... does the lamp light up or not? 

OK I have merged all you topics into this one. This will keep all the symptoms and suggestions together as well as what you've tried.

Lets get back to basics...

Turn the key to START. Does the starter turn the motor over? Yes or NO.