Sneaky Weber Air Cleaner Idea...(Heh-heh)

TheEddie

With the newest carburetor-equipped 720 being, what, 1986-vintage, those OEM emission electronic feedback carbonators gotsta be wearing out, and for our planet's sake they ought to be ash-canned on general principles, er, I mean, "responsibly replaced" :angel: .  With a new, current, carburetor, right?  Like the Weber 32/36 DGV.  (Or better yet, TWO of 'em, making you twice as responsible!) 

"Honest, Mr. EPA Officer sir, it grew there, Sir!"

Trouble is, those DGV's come with a small, chrome, rectangular, open-element air cleaner, which just sez, "Performance" to anyone looking.  I'm SWAGing 8"Lx4"Wx2H", i.e., 64 square inches of actual filter area.

Well.  The stock, round, boring 720 air cleaner housing looks (from pictures) to be around 14" OD, so I'm SWAGing (again) the actual filter element to 12"ODx2"H, for 72 sqiare inches.  More breathing area than the hot rod piece, plus it has a cold-air duct, that not only feeds the engine outside air BUT slightly pressurizes it as well.

So:  cool part from K&N--http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=85-1061  What we have here is an adapter that provides a base atop the square-flange Weber but converts it to round-base, standard American 5.125".

Sneaky?  Well.  Simply open up the OE air filter housing base to 5.125...

Eddie

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, I, I feeeeel better now.  My feelings are important and meaningful, or so sez Dr. Phil and Oprah and Judge Judy and all those units that Mama watches and gotta be furreal 'cause they're on TeeVee...

Y'know.  I thot I came up with a sneaky idea.

It turns out that I got out-sneaky-ed by this crowd.  Eeek :w00t: .

Eddie

how aboot making your stock carb look like a  weber?

MMMMM...fake everybody out with your Hitachi-look Weber..."Sure, yeah, it's stock with the junk '80's electronic feedback carby, let's run for pinks..."    Man oh man--THAT there ain't nothin' but pure, unadulterated, no-good, low-down, connivin' black-market pick-pocket sneakery :ninja: !  I LOVES IT!!!

Waaaal,  I'll see your OE Hitachi/Weber carbonator and raise you one:  I'm betting that some enterprising individual could convert that old obsolete carburetor body into a throttle body (only) for the rest of the hidden EFI system.  Probably the same dirty rat that hides the nitrous...

Eddie

I like ur "sneaky" air cleaner housing. Glad I don't have 2 wory about DEQ inspections where I live. Here is an alternate way to ditch the tiny stock weber air cleaner. If U take 2 14" universal air cleaner "tops" & cut one to the weber carb pattern(use ur old air cleaner bottom 4 a template) u can fit a 14" x 4" element under the hood of a 720(tight fit). After u cut out one of them (4 the bottom) u need to fab a tab w/stud.... I cut the top handle off of a little weber charq barbque and attached to bottom. simple 1/4 20 bolt w/jamnut became my "stud" to put the wing nut on. I could e-mail pics if anybody is interested...don't know how 2 post em here. I loctited(blue) bolts mounting into carb body and goobered blue silicone around "tab" fasteners so there is no chance of loosening and going down venturi. Cheap, easy, & it looks killer when u pop the hood.