Help me choose a paint color!

I have a 68 Datsun 510 2 door sedan (USDM).  It's going to get painted here pretty soon, and I can't seem to quite figure out what color to paint it.  I don't like the stock color. If you look at my avatar it's the blue that is remaining on the car.

So here are a few questions:

1) Should the car remain a 1968 factory color?

2) If yes, which one besides the stock color?

3) If No, what color do you think looks best on a 68?

I've been bouncing around the idea of a brighter white than was available from the factory, a factory red, or possibly a blue (I can never find a shade that I love).

Blacks, grey, silver are all out.  No chance I paint it that color.  No offense to those colors, its just that all my other cars are black, grey or silver and I'm not having another one.

So what do you think?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal taste. It's your car, have fun. No mater what you choose some one will some thing to say. The colors of the era are pretty dirty. Me and my age I have grown to really like these colors. When I was much younger I wanted to loudest I could find. To me a loud or intense color can be cool for a while but I tend to get tired of. And the more muted colors are timeless. Keep in mind this is my humble opinion. It's your car, good luck.

Does anyone know what color this is?  I found the picture on another site and it says Mike Agnifilo is the owner.  Anyone know him?  I like the blue on this and would love to know what the actual paint code is.  It would certainly be in the running.

Datsun_510_front_straight_on_low.jpg

If you need to ask what color to paint your car, then you should go with pussy pink

Walter Sobchak once said,"Donny, these men are nihilists, there is nothing to be afraid of."  I'm 99% sure the same thing can be said for Hyundai Elantra owners.  :thumbup:

I don't know about your color Randy, but those wheels look great! Haha just kidding I love that power blue color.

Wizeguy, I replied to your PM with my color paint name and where it comes from.  Here's another pic of it but in the dark to give you another view of it.

f9017759.jpg

• Like 1

I used to know this guy who sold them to me but I never see him anymore 

someone has great taste in wheels now back on topic 

here are some other choices   blue  blue blue  blue or blue 

P6100047_zps3f590acd.jpg

First off let me say you guys are awesome.  The posts that are the most helpful are the ones that include the paint name or code.  I've seen quite a few pictures of cars that I like, but finding out what actual color it is is almost impossible.

qwik510... I had looked at Mexico Blue, my only concern is that it might be too loud for me.  I like the shade generally though.

I like 71 Dimers car.  Not as loud, but not dark either.

TENDRIL.... can you buy those paint "blocks" (shapes?) from that site?  I tend to try and buy samples so that I can see it.  Computer screens always distort color a little bit.

DANTHEMAN... Do you have a picture of that color on a car?  I tried googling it but I'm not getting anything.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  If anyone else has good ideas keep them coming :)

It's nice to see another Midwesterner!  Wish I was still around to meet up.  I think you've gotten a lot of good advice.  It is your car, so don't worry about what someone will say about your choice.  I too like the Bamboo Tan, but I also like the shades of blue your looking at.  For me, when I go to pick a paint color for a car,  I always consider resale (so nothing outlandish), but I usually try to stay close to original.  By that I mean, if the car was blue, I stay with a blue, though it may be a different hue or shade like your looking at.  But if you've got the car totally sanded down then you've also got a blank canvas...

qwik510... I had looked at Mexico Blue, my only concern is that it might be too loud for me.  I like the shade generally though.

:)

Yes, I was going for loud on this one. I want it to look like a toy. It took me a long time to move away from the stock color and choose such a bright stand out color. Body will be stock with silver panasports.