Do I use a sealant?

cruznude

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The only thing I've ever used is lubricant to help the surfaces mate up and keep from sticking to each other in case I need to pull the carb back off for any reason; most people just put them on dry, however. I've done this also in the past with good results.

Should NOT use sealant of any kind. It would eventually deteriorate due to exposure to the fuel anyway.

• Like 2

I don't know of anything on a Datsun that uses a sealer. It would be used to 'seal' and most cases that's just what the gasket does. If the mating surfaces were badly knocked about I guess you could use sealant to help the gaskets. I would rub the adapter plates back and forth on a sheet of sand paper to 'true them up'. Once you use sealer parts like timing chain cover, water pump, thermostat housing and cover will be extremely hard to separate. Pretty much cemented on.

thats all i use sealer on in my L motors

Me too. As well as those 2 wiper looking seals in the rear main bearing cap(as per FSM instruction).

Some folks, however, come from the mystical, magical land of "everything is NOS" with perfectly machined mating surfaces that you can eat spaghetti off of. They never have to use sealant. The rest of us barbarians that live in the real world sometimes have to resort to such crude measures to keep our cobbled together abominable creations from bleeding vital fluids. Whatever works ;)

• Like 2