79 620 steering box

79620kc

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steering wheel play is the total of all the loose and worn parts in your steering system and not just the steering box. These can be the

Wheel bearing pre load incorrect. (loose)

Tie rod end ball joints worn out ( two pair)

Lower and upper control arm ball joints worn out. (two pair)

Steering cross rod ball joints worn out. (two)

Idler arm bushing worn out

Not as likely... knuckle arm loose or damaged, upper and lower control arm bushings worn out.

The steering box ratio for the 620 is about 19 to one. If all of the above parts have a combined wear allowing just 1/8" of play the steering wheel will have over 2 1/3 inches of play!!! Good new ball joints are essential and changing the steering box won't get rid of this.

Now the steering box. First the box and the steering column are one piece and cannot be separated so if changing one you have to change both, unfortunately.

There is an adjustment on the box to set the gear lash. It will look like a the threaded end of a bolt sticking up with a nut further down to lock it. The top has a slot in it for a screw driver. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the screw (out I think) to reduce the gear clearance. This is best done with the wheels off the ground so you can turn the steering wheel to test your results. Now a word about steering box wear. Most is in the center of straight ahead position and almost none at full lock to either side. If you adjust for very little slack in the center the gears may be very tight on the turns even jamming and not easily returned to the ahead position. Something you do not want. So after adjusting, spin the wheel from lock to lock looking for any tightness. Running the box with a tight spot will just wear the box and the bearings out sooner. When done don't forget to tighten the lock nut and and test again.

It may turn out that you simply have a bad idler arm and /or a worn ball joint.

No not sure. The screw lifts the sector shaft and decreases clearance with the worm gear... as I remember it. If I'm wrong no harm, it will be obvious it getting looser ... or tighter.

Damn, didn't leave a thing for me to chime in about...

Well you could mention topping the box up with GL-4

If it's the idler arm I have one sitting on the bench as we speak as well as a steering box. Both in good shape . Free to good home . Pay the freight.

Now the steering box. First the box and the steering column are one piece and cannot be separated so if changing one you have to change both, unfortunately.

Don't believe every thing you read.

They can be separated. And can be replaced individually. Have done it many , many times over the years.

Mike is however correct in his tech about slop in all components.

The box is a robust unit. Not prone to failure.

I'd be looking at the other steering components first.

Yes. They can be separated but the column and the worm gear are one piece. With the steering column removed from the box you no longer have a steering box. If the internal worm gear and sector shaft are worn out then the steering box and column have to be changed.

Had play in the steering and tightening the steeringbox did the job. As previous post say, don't over to it, as the car doesn't have power steering to tight steering will wear out the box + it gives back to much from the road and your hands will take a beating. That is the main reason why non power steering gars hace sloppy steering. My volvo 142 that I once had even got a rubber section in the steeringcoloum to take away bumps and hits the wheels get. Powersteering cars don't have that as the hydraulics take out the roughness from the road and act as a shock absorbers in the steering.

Make sure all other parts are nice and tight

Tighten the steeringbox to your liking

Make sure you can turn the wheels with eas from side to side.

You should have some play in the steering ans you turn the steeringwheel, but look @ the wheels the same time as you tun them. You will see the lifted wheels will turn as you turn the steeringwheel. Just the steeringwheel feels loose, but it isn't thats the needed soft section on the steering to save your hands.