Wheel offset and camber fit

Dantheman

It's not necessarily that the wheel/tire will rub on the strut housing, but the "frame" and inner fender.  In fact the housing is damn near identical, but the spindle is bigger, with bigger bearings, and it's the hub that is different.

I've already posted some pictures here for the difference in 510 to 280zx hubs:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/58657-which-wheel-hub/

By the way, after re-reading that post, I see that I measured a 1/2" difference in hubs.  Maybe the extra 1/4" that everybody speaks of, is made up in the construction of the housing/spindle!?

And quite frankly, necessary for almost anything but the stock sized tire and wheel. 

Sadly, True.  But I'm hoping to squeeze by with my '82 ZX wheels.... We shall see in the next couple weeks when I get my shortened struts back from Byron510....

Rolling fender lips is invisible to any one looking at it. 

Unless you "F" it up!! :rofl:

And there's no reason to roll the fronts. The factory already did.  :rofl:

Mine's not....(scratch head)...  And you do technically loose some rigidity when you roll the lip.... 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, after re-reading that post, I see that I measured a 1/2" difference in hubs.  Maybe the extra 1/4" that everybody speaks of, is made up in the construction of the housing/spindle!?

Not everybody. I'll gladly tell you the difference is exactly 1/2" per side. Because it is.    B)

Sadly, True.  But I'm hoping to squeeze by with my '82 ZX wheels.... We shall see in the next couple weeks when I get my shortened struts back from Byron510....

It's the rears that will rub. Even something small like a 185/60-14 on a ZX wheel will rub in the back. And it actually cuts, not rubs. 

The straight fender lip will just kiss the tire sidewall on every bump and shave rubber off the sidewall. The asskicker? It really only needs an extra 3-5mm to not "rub"...   :rofl:

Mine's not....(scratch head)... 

You fronts should have the lip at a 45 degree angle, not a 90 degree angle like the rear. After owning 23 510s and having worked on 20+ more, I've never seen a stock fender that didn't. 

And you do technically loose some rigidity when you roll the lip.... 

Yes, but not enough to ever make an appreciable difference. Most 510s unibodies are VERY stiff Typically, you can cut them completely off to fit flares and still not notice a difference, other than the occasional creaking sound when going over railroad tracks and the like. 

• Like 1

Lots of great info guys. I guess I'm in the market for ZX struts here in SoCal. And I may also be interested in selling my current set up. Stock calipers with new pistons and seals as well as coil over converted struts with new inserts. Trade or price to be discussed.

You fronts should have the lip at a 45 degree angle, not a 90 degree angle like the rear. After owning 23 510s and having worked on 20+ more, I've never seen a stock fender that didn't. 

I went out an looked again....  Yup, 45 degree-ish :blush:   I guess I cocked my head wrong.

I went out an looked again....  Yup, 45 degree-ish :blush:   I guess I cocked my head wrong.

No worries. It's actually quite difficult to roll the front lips well anyway. The fenders are so soft you'll just end up pushing the fender out. And with the design of the lip, rolling it won't actually gain any extra clearance. It'll just make the tire hit the fender itself. 

You can actually get a pretty decent "pull" on the front fender just buy grabbing it and leaning back.  :rofl:

If flares were an option, those would be my choice. I have thought about what it would take to do a wide body 2 door. Not a box fender but but pie cutting and pushing fender and quarters out a couple inches with out changing the 510 identity. It would be much like the first gen M3.

Not a box fender but but pie cutting and pushing fender and quarters out a couple inches with out changing the 510 identity. It would be much like the first gen M3.

These used to be offered back in the day. Had a set myself (new fenders and bottom half of the quarter skin). They didn't look "bad", much better than box flares in fact, but still not as good as stock and/or ZG-style flares.