Yet another power steering thread

Kins720

Hey guys, was at the junkyard today and found a mostly unmolested 84 720 4X4. Grabbed the instrument panel, the condenser and some miscellaneous parts. While I was pulling those parts off I noticed that the power steering system was complete, the engine is not a Napz24 engine as that was the first thing I checked. I've looked at other posts about power steering and the posts are mostly about different parts from different vehicles that will work. I've also read that pretty much everything can be transferred from one 2WD 720 with power steering to another without power steering. I've looked for posts on the 4X4 models transferring over but couldn't find them. Tomorrow I will pulling out the power steering pump, lines, gearbox with arm, and shaft. I'm looking at probably 60 buck worth of parts. Will all these parts bolt right in or will I be looking to do some fabricating. Not sure if I'm going to find a better deal and wouldn't want to let this slip away. I know some folks will probably post about why would you want to put power steering in your truck. My reply? Because I want to :).

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only engines in the '84 were the Z24 the Z20 and the SD25 diesel. Admittedly if it had a Z24 in it, it could have had an earlier  Z22 transplanted in.

If it is not a Z series then the pump mounts will be of no use to you if putting on  your Z24. Maybe post a picture of this mystery motor.

I don't believe that the 4X4 column will work on the 2wd truck, as I recall the rag joint on the column was down at the steering gear, and if you try to use the rag joint down there with a power steering gear, it will hit the 2wd upper control arm(UCA), it does not hit it when you are using a manual steering gear, as they are shorter, you will need the column with the rag joint near the firewall, and the smaller round knuckle joint at the PS gear connection.

The deeper/taller PS gear moves the column connection towards the firewall a few inches, causing clearance issues with the UCA, I know this because my first power steering conversion we used a 4X4 as the donor, we had to go out and find a 2wd power steering column to make it work, you need a 2wd tilt or non-tilt column, just remember that the combination switch you have is made for the wiring harness and column you have now, so if you have a tilt column now, find a 2wd tilt PS column, if you have a non-tilt column, then find a 2wd non-tilt column, if you start trying to mix and match stuff, it gets to being a real headache. 

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a pic tomorrow of the engine, the yard could be wrong about the year as they marked it a D21. Every time I came by I asked for 720s but they said there were none. I took a chance and just went in to check and found both 720s and D21s. The reason why I said its not a Z engine mike is because there were no exhaust spark plugs and just one ignition coil. I've always associated the exhaust spark plugs on Z engines. I guess my thinking is wrong then. I'll take pictures of the other Datsun / Nissan vehicles they have and post those in the other thread for it as well. I went there just for the condenser, but while I was looking at this truck I saw quite a few goodies on it that got me thinking about the swap. I'll hold off on this and wait till I find an ST or KC with the power steering still there.

Edit: Didn't want to post another reply. Was thinking about just grabbing the power steering lines off this truck since they're there, good idea?

There were 2 types of power steering lines on the 720, ones that twisted into the hole, and the type that had a bolt hold them on like how the late 720 brake lines are held onto the front brake calipers.

Also some of the later power steering line connections had lines that were both the same size, while most the 720s had two different sized lines, the best thing you can do if you can, is wait for a complete 720 with power steering to come in and get everything at once.

There have been a lot of 720s in this areas junkyards over the years, and I used to be able to piece meal these power steering packages, but it has been so long since I have done a power steering package, I am beginning to forget what I have used, I recall that a late 90s sentra has a pump/reservoir unit(not separate) that is small and is easy to make a mount for, and all that is needed is to make a pressure side line on the pump, the return can just be made to length, I put my first one next to the steering gear on the driverside(L20b engine), I have a thread that I posted some photos of it, here is a link, the photos start at post 47 of the power steering unit.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38208-waynos-acquisitions-ect/

DSCN0812.jpg

This is what most my power steering packages look like, it has a power steering pump from a pathfinder(front left by batt), a reservoir from a hardbody(just in front of wiper motor), and the lines were from whatever fit, likely a 720.

DSCN0153.JPG

When one has several datsuns/nissans to pick from, it's easy to piece meal something together, but where your at is a different story, you can actually make almost anything from anything work, it just has to connect to the 720 power steering gear to work.

Well, been busy packing for the move and haven't gone back to the yard for those pics. Interesting thing though, when I was putting my truck back together I put the gauge cluster in thinking I would have to install the resistor for the tach, turns out there is one in the truck already. Is that supposed to be there? Oh well, I have a spare now.

IMAG0015_zps1f63a820.jpg

Also, so a real nice 620 while I was out today getting supplies for the move. Owner's name is Gil, bought it off a used car lot for $4,000 bucks 30 years ago. Everything looked all original on the truck. Surprisingly clean 78.

IMAG0019_zps3309812b.jpg

IMAG0020_zps011b6398.jpg

That's Gil standing in back of the truck

IMAG0018_zps63f7db34.jpg

That's a nice looking 620 for sure... :thumbup:

Here's another idea for you if you can do a little fab work... have you thought about using an electric power steering unit from a Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent? the steering assist motor is located inside at the bottom of the column so it looks like all one would need to do is weld that part of the column to the Datsun column, wire it up and add in a control box, and you'd have power steering with no pump, no hoses, no clearance issues... I'm thinking about going this route for my '86 4x4 if I can find a column with the motor and the controller in the junkyards and the price is right...

I'll keep an eye on the board for ideas Dave, as soon as I figure out where I'm going to settle I'll get back to working on the truck. Had to put it back together just to make room in the garage to move my stuff out of the house. Just having the front end taken apart wasn't enough. I think I'll probably end up stripping the whole truck down to the chassis. Found a lot of rust, kind of odd for a truck that was purchased in a southeastern state. When I pulled the tailgate off and opened the inner panel, a lot of wood kindle came out of the tailgate. No wonder the dang thing was so heavy lol.

I just thought I'd put that up there since I noticed my wife's torrent had electric power steering and saw how easy it would be to do a swap out... I'm still looking into it myself to see if it would be feasable for these trucks, and to see what other vehicles out there have electric power steering to see if their setups may be more compact or easy to make work. The GM unit LOOKS like it would be an easy straight forward install with minimal cutting and welding, but there may be other cars/trucks that might make it even easier.

That project is Way on the back burner for me but it will be nice if I decide to do it later on.

Yeah, I found some stuff like that in my truck bed that caused it to rust all the way thru ... mainly a huge pile of leaves etc that's been sitting there for probably 5 or 6 years... luckily that's the only major rust out on mine, I think I saw a spot under the floor pan on the passenger's seat that might need a new piece of metal welded in but I'll take care of that when I'm ready to put a new carpet in the truck, the rest of the body is good then I found a crack about 8" long on my driver's side inner fender that was caused by a body lift block missing from the back of the cab on the passenger side causing it to flex in that area, it's fine now that I replaced the missing blocks and it don't flex anymore and the crack hasn't got worse, but I'll weld it shut while I'm off over the Christmas vacation.... just all those little things ya find After you bring it home that ya didn't see before ya bought it type stuff... but I really can't bitch too much cuz I only paid $600 for mine

I looked into this and found some Ford trucks simply used extra hard line and ran it back and forth in front of the rad support in the rad air stream. Others had fins on the hard lines. Most were large vehicles. None of the 720 have a cooler and the truck is very light so I never considered one. My set up had the reservoir on the inner fender and on several occasions while checking the level I dipped my finger in. It was barely warm. In 7 years it stayed ruby red and never discolored from heat.

I have built race cars and off road for years. Have learrned never to take things for granted. Always run a cooler in the return line on any PWR steering conversion.

Cost ? $20.....Merry Christmas

Maybe rock crawling/racing but the 720 4x4 didn't have them. Won't hurt to have one on a street vehicle. An engine oil cooler could be used too, but not really needed and generally.... just more stuff to go wrong. .Merry Christmas

Look Mike for $20 I'll take the safe bet.

I'v seen power steering pumps over heat on an LTD on the freeway. All it takes is a hot day and a bit of neglect. 

And by the way. I raced more sportsman than rocks.

I don't rock crawl.

I now build trail rigs.

Big difference.

The conversion is never really cheap. If you go for non NISAN parts,  it takes some fab work and a bit of engineering . So why recommend going cheap?

And an oil cooler is never a bad idea. Unless you install it wrong. Merry Christmas to you to. And thanks.......