First time Datsun owner, First Post

tisfortyler

Hi everyone! I picked up my very first Datsun a few months ago, a lovely 1973 620 and I cant get enough of it!

I'm very much a newbie to Datsun and for the most part, a little wet behind the ears on mechanics in general but I look forward to the many years with this beauty.

I picked it up a few months ago, 2 owner, guy I bought it from bought it for his son as his first car who called is "gay" and so it sat under a tarp for 2 years (little bastard's loss...). This guy bought it from the original owner who garaged it most of its life. It's in mosty awesome shape, theres a few things I'd like to do on it soon that arent major but would really make it enjoyable to drive (bench seat is worn out on the drivers side, instrument panel lights are super dim, need to figure out what to do with the radio, etc...)

I've got questions Im sure I'll be needing help with very soon but just figured I would introduce my 620 to the comminuty!

PS - This may be a dumb question, but what do you all recommend for wiper for my truck? The standard ones at chains don't seem to fit.

MG_8823.jpg MG_8824.jpg MG_8825.jpg

MG_8827.jpg MG_8832.jpg MG_8833.jpg

MG_8834.jpg MG_8835.jpg MG_8836.jpg

MG_8837.jpg MG_8838.jpg MG_8840.jpg

MG_8841.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, like your gay truck. Kids, in later years he'll be telling the story of how he almost owned one and let it slip away.

Almost all '70s vehicles had very poor dash lighting and the 620 is absolutely no exception to this rule maybe the industry standard by how all other dash lights are measured. There are some post here about replacing them with LEDs. I'm more of a purist and would rather go to some trouble to keep the original wiper brackets and just change the rubbers. Don't care for the plastic look. 

• Like 1

Welcome!

You have a very clean truck, most will be jealous as not many are found this clean.  Glad you were able to save it from the tarp!

One of the best upgrades I did was a 510 alternator swap.  Use a 510 alternator with the A/C option.  Gives you 60A and it is external regulated like the one you have in there already.  No wire cutting ect.  It also helped with the dash lighting.

Welcome!

I just replaced my wipers with a set from the parts store.  They fit just fine!?  Post pics of your wipers and blades... Maybe we can figure out what's up.

Try this thread for some ideas:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55727-freelow-cost-mods-that-should-be-done/page-4

That link should take you to page 4.  Read the whole thing, but I did a quick write-up on page 4 about cleaning and greasing your wiper pivots before they break.

I plan on keeping it as stock as I possibly can. So I'll need to track down a working radio hopefully soon. Probably no major modifications, just keep it clean. I rather like the rear bumper, for now anyway. I'm gonna start with the alternator and hopefully find a replacement bench seat soon, the one thats in there now is torn up.

I plan on keeping it as stock as I possibly can. So I'll need to track down a working radio hopefully soon. Probably no major modifications, just keep it clean. I rather like the rear bumper, for now anyway. I'm gonna start with the alternator and hopefully find a replacement bench seat soon, the one thats in there now is torn up.

It will be hard to find a replacement seat that is not torn up.  Get a cover for it or if you want to fork out the money get it redone, depending on how bad your seat is in there.  The '73 and '72 are the only years that came with a bench seat without the shifter cutout in it, just some FYI if you want to stay original.

Keeping it stock is honorable.

I asked about the bumper because most guys, me included go for the clean look.  I was just wondering what your style is.  I've seen so many different rear bumpers on these, I'm not sure what rear bumper was original, or if they actually came with a rear bumper.  I have a suspicion they were delivered to the dealer without a bumper and the dealer installed whatever they could get locally, but maybe someone can set me straight on that.

Bench seats are easy to redo,  it shouldn't cost much to do it.... Let's see....  It will take 3 yards of material or so around $15/yrd plus foam, and less than 8 hours cut and sew.  I'd say around $150-300, depending on labor rate.  That would be much better than just a cheap cover, and you can get just about any color and pattern you want.  But a cover costs what? $40-60 these days?

Good ideas, theres a miserable seat cover on there now, I think I'll just find someone in town to redo it. Plus it will give me a much more comfortable ride. Sounds a bit easier to go that route then try to find a different seat. I thought the bumper was original, odd, I'll have to look into it.

I'm assuming then that someone along the way put the lil hustler and by Datsun decals on there?

I'm not saying your bumper hasn't been on there since it was sold new, I'm just wondering if they came from the factory with a rear bumper... That's something I need to research further..

*** I just did some quick research; 1973 had a stamped steel chrome rear bumper to match the front. The '77 manual doesn't even mention a rear bumper from the factory....