your thoughts about this CL 510

Socalif510

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you keep using the word swop, what is that :P.  if you are planning on doing a ka swap than why not buy a 510 with an L or a car that already has the ka in it?  this car has already been cut up to accommodate the 13b,  might as well let it be

you keep using the word swop, what is that :P.  if you are planning on doing a ka swap than why not buy a 510 with an L or a car that already has the ka in it?  this car has already been cut up to accommodate the 13b,  might as well let it be

Agreed! Let it be. its already done this way and no need to re-do something that looks to be clean and some what well done. My bad on SWAP lol. :)  getting the feedback I need to make a purchase. So thank you. 

Rotaries are awesome engines. I miss my 83 RX7. They can also be a pain to get fixed, and if they haven't been treated well the seals can grenade. So I'd use the rotary for the time being, knowing that you may be in for repairs or a replacement in the future. They aren't known for lasting a long time. I had 150k on mine, which by rotary standards was on the high side. They just don't seem to last as long as piston engines, you'd never get 300k out of one. A lot of that was due to nobody knowing how to take care of them.

Dellortos are excellent carbs. They don't make them anymore, but you should still be able to get parts.

Looks like a solid car though, guess it just depends on how much they value it at, and what they want in trade.

• Like 1

Rotaries are awesome engines. I miss my 83 RX7. They can also be a pain to get fixed, and if they haven't been treated well the seals can grenade. So I'd use the rotary for the time being, knowing that you may be in for repairs or a replacement in the future. They aren't known for lasting a long time. I had 150k on mine, which by rotary standards was on the high side. They just don't seem to last as long as piston engines, you'd never get 300k out of one. A lot of that was due to nobody knowing how to take care of them.

Dellortos are excellent carbs. They don't make them anymore, but you should still be able to get parts.

Looks like a solid car though, guess it just depends on how much they value it at, and what they want in trade.

great feed back thank you! 

• Like 1

Keep the Rotary, ditch the front seats, ditch the 4in muffler.  Only other cosmetic thing is that it looks like it's missing all of the front grille surround pieces.......eye brows, lower trim & hood trim.  Has the guy put a price tag on it, or do you have a trade?  Looks like a nice car!

• Like 1

Looks okay.  The first pic shows trim, so I bet he has it.  I'd be most concerned with bondo/rust under that fresh paint.  Run a magnet and a straight edge on the rockers.  This may not be a deal breaker since most have problems, but he did say no rust in the ad, so that may be a nail in the coffin.  Rotaries are bad ass.  rock it until it dies minimum.  Then decide if you really want to go back to pistons.  The rotary just makes more sense.  I wish they could make those seals last.  

Looks to me like the front was gently hit, and a different bumper was put on.  The valance looks pushed around behind that bumper, specifically on the passenger side, the turn signal is pointed upward, and the signal lenses don't match.  The hood is missing the trim in some pics, but in either pic, the hood buckles upward in the middle.  I see ripples down the sides of the car.  There is a dent in front of the passenger front door.  I don't trust a car that has newer paint, and untouched body damage under it.  Also look at the rear bumper;  it looks like it was recently put on.  It's dirty.  I'd say it came from an original car that has had been sitting for a long time, because it hasn't seen chrome polish for awhile.  So that leads me to the question, why does it have newer paint, and and old bumper?  But I think that is answered by the fact that the left rear corner has some bad bondo in it.  They even covered up the seam that runs downward from the tail light to the bumper.  The body line above the license plate is not crisp.  And actaully if you look at the gap for the trunk lid to tail light panel, you will see that the gap gets wider on the outsides of the trunk lid.  To me it looks like the tail light panel is bent inward in the middle.   I suspect it has filler there too.   It also has the windshield gasket that's designed for the stainless trim, but the trim is not there.  And why no pictures of the interior???  What's he hiding there? 

I got all that from a few shitty photos.  I just don't get a good feeling from it.  

I guess it all depends on price and what extra parts are included, but I'd steer clear unless you can see it in person and give it a thorough inpsection.

Looks to me like the front was gently hit, and a different bumper was put on.  The valance looks pushed around behind that bumper, specifically on the passenger side, the turn signal is pointed upward, and the signal lenses don't match.  The hood is missing the trim in some pics, but in either pic, the hood buckles upward in the middle.  I see ripples down the sides of the car.  There is a dent in front of the passenger front door.  I don't trust a car that has newer paint, and untouched body damage under it.  Also look at the rear bumper;  it looks like it was recently put on.  It's dirty.  I'd say it came from an original car that has had been sitting for a long time, because it hasn't seen chrome polish for awhile.  So that leads me to the question, why does it have newer paint, and and old bumper?  But I think that is answered by the fact that the left rear corner has some bad bondo in it.  They even covered up the seam that runs downward from the tail light to the bumper.  The body line above the license plate is not crisp.  And actaully if you look at the gap for the trunk lid to tail light panel, you will see that the gap gets wider on the outsides of the trunk lid.  To me it looks like the tail light panel is bent inward in the middle.   I suspect it has filler there too.   It also has the windshield gasket that's designed for the stainless trim, but the trim is not there.  And why no pictures of the interior???  What's he hiding there? 

I got all that from a few shitty photos.  I just don't get a good feeling from it.  

I guess it all depends on price and what extra parts are included, but I'd steer clear unless you can see it in person and give it a thorough inpsection.

Great info and good eyes. This is the reason I asked and put it up to the community. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...