Where to buy shocks for 510 wagon ?

Eriks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the rear, I got a set of KYB Excel-G shocks for mine and they seem just fine. The part number is 343135 and I got mine off of eBay but you can find them all over. Right now, there is someone on Amazon selling them for $19.56 each with free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/KYB-343135-Excel-G-Replacement-Shock/dp/B000C3ZCTO).

For the front, I got 280zx Excel-G inserts (part number 365013) but they aren't a direct fit into stock 510 tubes - you need a spacer since the 280zx inserts are a little shorter than the 510 inserts. Unfortunately, there aren't any direct replacement inserts for the '68 through '73 510. At least there isn't anything you can simply pick up - a single or set does show up on eBay now and then and I've seen people list them on CL.

If you are planning to replace the front 'shocks' you have to take apart and drain out the hydraulic fluid and remove the inner valving anyway... why not just replace the hydraulic fluid with motorcycle fork oil? You can get it in any thickness or 'weight'. Thicker fluid resists being pushed through the valve orifices more than thin and increased the damping effect. This is what I did on my Maxima struts in my 710. $17 for 20W Belray for oil, enough to do 3 struts. Once you convert to removable strut cartridges you can't do this and have to keep replacing the cartridges. 

For the rear, I got a set of KYB Excel-G shocks for mine and they seem just fine. The part number is 343135 and I got mine off of eBay but you can find them all over. Right now, there is someone on Amazon selling them for $19.56 each with free shipping (http://www.amazon.com/KYB-343135-Excel-G-Replacement-Shock/dp/B000C3ZCTO).

For the front, I got 280zx Excel-G inserts (part number 365013) but they aren't a direct fit into stock 510 tubes - you need a spacer since the 280zx inserts are a little shorter than the 510 inserts. Unfortunately, there aren't any direct replacement inserts for the '68 through '73 510. At least there isn't anything you can simply pick up - a single or set does show up on eBay now and then and I've seen people list them on CL.

Great reply. I've taken your advice and purchased these shocks. Thanks!!