Dan's 521 Ratty Dat Build

Montuckey Dan

Hello! Names Dan. This is my first go at a Datsun of any model. I can't wait to get to wrenchin' on it. Fell free to comment or suggest your 2cents. Let the photos begin!

1970 Datsun 521 1600 5spd. Found mostly stock minus a few odds & ends. Its going to need some TLC for sure for cruzin again. The 'yard owner is letting me gather all the parts I think I would need to make a "bitchin lil' rat man" as he puts it haha. SWEET!  

1377594_3473852501043_643687809_n.jpg

The Dude & the Ratty Dat. First time checkin it out.

1380592_3473850821001_645626929_n.jpg

Yeah you could say the motor has seen better days.......no mice though!

1383435_3473851101008_545438363_n.jpg

Insides pretty trashed too. But not for long.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes sir! And there are 3 other bulletsides that i picked up too. One bullet' has a stepside bed with a topper. Never seen one like before! I'll try to get photos of it today.

Anyhow, On to the Ratty Dat! Today i should get the 'Dat on its wheels (slot mags in 15x8 -x10 w/ 195/50s) and then home with a load of extra parts. Photos coming soon :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well the weather went to :poop:  So it will just sit like this for a few days.

1377207_3479910212482_1886286095_n.jpg

Cell phone camera lense has seen better days lol. I just suprized it still works. Bare with me on the photo quality guys THANKS

602796_3479912772546_1257250187_n.jpg

I did manage to get some 195/60's that were "just taking up garage space" :thumbup: for cheap! Mounted them up and to the yard i went just to see how cool it will look. Its still resting on blocks in these photos fyi. Ride height will come later.

Still going throught all the other Datsun parts (getting some parts from a 260 Z :thumbup:  too ) i want for this truck. So many parts and so little time. I have a few custom tricks in the works so stay tooned in kids its gonna be a fun ride :w00t: no dout.

• Like 1

I would love to see pics of the Step-side with top!!!

Ask and you shall recive. The top might be a home job as its construction is in question. Once opon a time it was the awsome lil pickup though. The fenders are fiberglass too. I would have bet they were off a chevy 1/2 ton step.

540729_3509338628174_155990361_n.jpg

I want :P

So do I!. But its really rusted out, like flintstone floorboard gone. Pickin' a few parts from it to make my 521 that much cooler.

Bulletsides look best with the stock bed and bed hooks removed. Datsuns had the best lines of any early mini truck. IMO

It looks like one of the aftermarket stepside boxes, like the ones on the chevy LUV, I have one on my Datsun 521KC, it looks like the type with the metal stepside pieces.

You are right about the canopy looking home made, the side windows are all wrong, tilted when they shouldn't be, but I have never seen a small canopy for one of these small stepsides before.

It looks to have a diamond plate rear bumper, does it look like it belongs on there?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found some time to go play out in the ole' junk yard again. Double checked that 620 step side bed and its all fiberglass with a metal center section. steps 'glass. Checked out a 70 something 260z but no real work. Photos still need to be uploaded so wait till tomorrow......