Datsun 710 Automatic

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy one that works, preferably new if at all possible. Did you remove it Tristngrind just to sell parts or is it stripped and non functional?

I just bought a flywheel from Datsun parts.com but didn't specify that i needed an automatic flex plate for my 710 wagon.  He is good enough to take back the manual one, but now I just need one that works.  So if you have one TristnGrind I would buy it off you.  Or if anyone knows who might be able to recondition my existing one if that is even an option.

Yeah flywheels go with manuals and flexplate/pressure plates go to automatics. I removed my older trans because I was upgrading to the Jatco and L20. Both transmissions work fine. What does yours look like that you say you need it to be reconditioned? Do you have pictures of your flexplate?

I don't have it out of the car yet.  I have had a problem with the starter grinding once in a while so i just thought the flex plate was missing teeth in a section but it would always start after a couple of tries.  I ended up replacing the starter,(looked while turning the crank to see if any teeth were missing which they are not, but think they might be semi stripped out,) and have had a hot push start button to it ever since I bought the car so i know its not a relay problem with the key turn. The problem now has escalated to the point that by starting the car there is a very sluggish slow turning sound, then stops turning all together.   I have tested my battery,(good) i have replaced my spark plugs, and the alternator is also good.  I am getting juice to my starter but after 4-5 tries my battery drains.  I am going to try replacing my starter once more but still need a new flex plate. I hope all of this makes sense.. 

I don't have it out of the car yet.  I have had a problem with the starter grinding once in a while so i just thought the flex plate was missing teeth in a section but it would always start after a couple of tries.  I ended up replacing the starter,(looked while turning the crank to see if any teeth were missing which they are not, but think they might be semi stripped out,) and have had a hot push start button to it ever since I bought the car so i know its not a relay problem with the key turn. The problem now has escalated to the point that by starting the car there is a very sluggish slow turning sound, then stops turning all together.   I have tested my battery,(good) i have replaced my spark plugs, and the alternator is also good.  I am getting juice to my starter but after 4-5 tries my battery drains.  I am going to try replacing my starter once more but still need a new flex plate. I hope all of this makes sense.. 

Doesn't sound like the flex plate or the starter ring. Sounds like you should first...

Remove the ground cable where it bolts to the head behind the fuel pump. Clean both surfaces and bolt it down properly.

As you have replaced the starter I imagine the positive cable is pretty clean by now.

Now remove the battery cables and clean them and the posts with sand paper and tighten them down. If the bolts are all stripped or the clamping is poor... REPLACE THEM!

Next get a known good battery and try that. Or use booster cables on a friends car. Bet it starts right up every time.

Probably your battery is either...

1/ no good

2/ or you have a drain on the battery which half kills it over night.

You should be able to crank the motor over more than 5-6 tries if the battery is good.

So here's the update: I returned the new-ish starter(still under warranty)  with a brand new one, bought a bran new battery, and did everything suggested by King Rat, cleaned all terminals and connections. The slow sluggish sound is gone and now the original problem is there that has never gone away the grinding sound of it starting like its already started.  I am thinking it is the flywheels teeth that are slightly worn on the corners of the flexplate that somehow is not engaging fully.  The only thing i can think is that the starter isn't fully flushed at a 90*?  Is there such a thing as shimming the starter onto the transmission?   I am at a loss if it isn't just a simple replacement of the flexplate. 

I have both the older B&W flexplate and the newer JATCO flexplate in 5-bolt.

I think that I will just have to buy the newer JATCO flexplate  5-bolt if you still have it.