doing sr20 swap into 1200, trans and diff?

Broc1093

Hey guys so I'm just now starting a sr20 swap into my 73 1200. I picked up a sr this week and I'm starting to get parts around. I have been searching around and I'm finding different responses on what trans and diff to run. My main questions are; will the sr20 5 speed fit into the car? , and what diff/rear end set up can I run? My goals are 450-600whp. I already have rods, pistons, cams ect with sleeves on the way. Also does anyone else sell mount kits besides maddat? Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone hasn't done their homework first. You're asking if the tranny will fit but you already have the motor? Doesn't really mater now does it? What rear end should you run? Something that will handle the power. The secret is to research, research, research. Have you looked at similar builds? http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52197-el-compa-510-sr20det-memorial-build/page-3

Have you ever swapped a motor like this? No not a chevy or ford I mean a new generation EFI motor into a car that was 60 hp and carburetor? Some things to think about before starting your research.

This car weighs what 1,700 lbs? make it 2,000 with the swap... and 60 hp so it's suspension and brakes are way over 40 year old technology and while not bad for 1970 is a pos today. You plan to give it almost unlimited top end speed and acceleration that will get you into trouble fast in a very short distance. Think the brakes and handling are up to 7-10 times the power? Anyone can say 450-600 hp blah blah, seen it all. Half that would be scary in this car. Without preparing the car for this swap it's a one way trip.

THE BIG TWO:

1/ Do you have the time to put into this? Do you go to school? Have a girl friend? Expect about 6 months for this depending on resources of time, skill, interest and...

2/ Do you have a job or income and several thousand dollars to complete this swap. Even if you do much of the work everything will have to be custom made 'one offs'. Skills can save money, for everything else there's... money and more money.

Do you have a plan, not a dream, a sensible, reasonable plan? An allocation of time and money to bring this to a successful finish?

Do you have a safe secure place to do this? Preferably a garage on your property where you can work on it at a moment's notice? Not across town at a friend's car port.

Do you have tools? Including but not restricted to... a mig welder, fabricating tools like vice, grinder, hammers, drill press. Not a friend's father's 60 year old stick welder.

Skills. Any previous engine swaps like this? Do you know how to weld? Can you fabricate a needed part you can't buy?

Lack of any/all of these things does not necessarily mean you are doomed to failure, if you want it bad enough anything can be done.

Lol this is.not my first swap. My last car I built was a 1000whp 2jz kouki. But that was my only swap car I have ever done. Its funny you throw a 2jz in front of me and I can do.anything but I'm new to the SR. The datsun was given to me. I have a 5 speed for the sr but from reading I read something about length but I see the swap kit says sr 5 speed. Money is not really a issue. I know what building a car is like its never ending. I work at a machine shop and do all my own machining non of those are a issue. I was just looking for a couple answers....

Well the H190 will handle about half that and as the tires won't be that large anyway they will act as fuses and spin, relieving the stress. The 1200 can't be that wide so you could more easily get away with a Lincoln Locker diff.